Bottling Stout after ~2 months secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
Towards the end of the summer I brewed an Oatmeal Stout. I don't remember the exact dates but in September I transferred it to a secondary about 3 weeks later. I had intended on bottling this around Columbus Day but work/school and lack of bottles hasn't given me any time to bottle. It's been sitting in the secondary for about 2 months, I checked on it yesterday and it looks fine and smells like beer (not the cidery smell I got when I transferred). We've had some cold weather and my basement has been sitting in the mid to high 50s lately. I know it's good to bottle but is there anything special I should do since it's been sitting so long, like pitching some yeast or should there be enough active yeast to carb up? I'm hoping to bottle this weekend, work permitting, so it will be close to being ready for Christmas gifts, even if the people that get it have to let it sit another week or two.

Go to Costco and load up on "bottles" just avoid SN, they are low quality bottles. Deschutes (if you have it) are some of the heaviest bottles I have found used by micros.

Go to Costco and load up on "bottles" just avoid SN, they are low quality bottles. Deschutes (if you have it) are some of the heaviest bottles I have found used by micros.

What's wrong with SN bottles? They're my favorite- the labels come off incredibly easy and cleanly with no scrubbing, the bottles are short so they store well in every case and shelf, they're brown glass, and are extremly smooth with no imprints in the glass with the name of their brewery or other such nonsense.

Thin bottles just mean they're easier to carry in bulk. I have no idea where you're getting "low quality." SN bottle conditions a lot of their beers- if they can carb their beer in it, particularly their PA, why can't I? I've never had one bust on me.

^ I use SN bottles a lot also...they do clean up super easy! I've never had a problem with them but would be interested to know if anyone else has.

...or drink the beer taking up 20 bottles :)

This. With minimal help that's one night's work. Just don't try bottling the same day...

I use almost exclusively SN bottles. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Never had one break on me. The plus with them is the box for 12ers that has the bottle divider. Great for storage and transportation. Where did you hear they are low quality bensiff?

I have only bottled a few SN's and actually had a difficult time getting the labels off, I have also had a hard time with Bridgeport bottles too but they could have just been flukes.

SN bottles fit OK in other boxes but their boxes don't hold other bottles too well so I am 50/50 with them.

As far as bottling the stout (back on topic) after bottling I would recommend that they be stored around 70° or so to help carb them up!

Good luck!!

Back