Bottling Stage Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there

My fermentation on my very first batch of beer (yey!) is almost complete - i am taking hydrometer readings to ensure it is time to bottle.

What iv noticed in the readings however is the liquid is still rather murky/mud-waterish. It appears the Whirlfloc tablet i added in brewing has not done its job?

What i also noticed is when i left my hydrometer sample in its testube over night, residue will have formed at the bottom of the test tube and the liquid will have cleared (a little)

Looking for a little advice on my options to clarify my batch before i bottle it

- Should i add some fining agents to help clear it? (will this react with the Whirlfloc tablet thats already residing within?)
- Should i transfer my batch to a secondary keg/fermenter/demijohn and hope for the same results as the testube scenario above?
- Should i just bite the bullet and accept that my first batch will be a cloudy one?

Any advice here would be great folks, many thanks

Ryan :)

I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I always transfer to a secondary for clarification. I take great pains not to disturb the primary while moving and I count on wasting a small amount in the bottom as to not pull up the yeast and trub at the bottom. Same with transferring from the secondary in a week or so. I carefully move it and transfer to kegs trying not to disturb what has settled out while racking it over. As part of my initial boil, I also use irish moss to help in clarification and nothing else. I have had great results doing this.

I hope this helped a little. :mug: cheers!!

I've recently started "cold crashing", that is, dropping the temp to about 40*F about 24 hours before bottling. It has really helped my last couple batches. I also use a bit of Irish moss, haven't tried whirfloc yet.

I've read a little on HBT about "whirlpooling", but am not entirely clear on this process.

Yeah i think i will try irish moss as opposed to Whirlfloc for my next batch, since whirlfloc hasn't really done the trick this time around

I was considering cold crashing but i dont really have a method of doing so right now

The Whirlfloc and Irish Moss...........Aren't their main objectives to help clump up the trub and protein break junk, and help keep it in the boil kettle?

Me thinks what you are seeing is normal stuff from fermentation, and as mentioned, "cold crashing" would help you get the results you seek.

And MOST will say, no need for a secondary, unless you wish to use it for dry hopping or fruit additions, oak chips, and that other happy stuff.

Drop your temp below 40 F before you rack it off, 35 even better if you can.

You'll have to handle the temp conversion..........;)

Back