Bottling sours with dark candy syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnick12

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bottled a sour with dark candy syrup/sugar?

Today I made some really tasty candy syrup from table sugar using the following recipe:

98.5% sucrose
0.5% L-alanine
0.5% glycine
0.5% caclium carbonate.

Dissolve in the minium amount of water. Boil on low until the color begins to darken, and stirr rapidly until the sugar begins to crystalize. Once crystalization begins, carefully add more water and repeat until desired darkeness is obtained.

I made about 4oz of really tasty syrup that smells like caramel popcorn and tootsie rolls.

Anyways, I was sampling my sour brown with lacto brevis, and blending with a clean ale to try and find a ratio I liked. It occured to me to add a few drops of the candy syrup to my sour brown and taste it. It tastes reaaallly good, the malliard notes of the syrup really accentuate some of the more subtle flavors in the sour. I think I am going to bottle at least some of the sour with this syrup, and was wondering if anyone has done something similair in the past.

I've split a batch with D90 and corn sugar. It changes the sourness a touch, and the way it sits on your tongue. It was a interesting little experiment.

Awesome!

Thats what I was planning on doing as well. Did anything in particular stand out from the sour bottled wiith D90 when compared to the regular?

a small amount of the dark stone fruit was their, but the amount was just a hint, I think it would have to do with the amount... The dextrose was a little more rounded.... Interestingly it hit the tongue in different places... I'd recommend you try it

The D90 took a bit to carb up

Back