Bottling Saison with Harvested Brett Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Hello,

i have plans to brew a gin barrel aged saison in the near future. i was planning on bottling it and thought about possibly adding the dregs of a brett beer. i thought the best way would be adding it in the bottling bucket to reduce the amount of items that could be contaminated. i know i'd need a new/dedicated bucket, siphon, spigot and tubing for brett just to be safe. my specific question are:

if adding at bottling would i need to make any adjustments with priming sugar calculations to avoid bottle bombs down the road? i'm using a mix of safeale BE-134 and some harvested saison du pont yeast so it should end up pretty dry. last saison i made with be-134 had an FG of 1.004.

if adding brett from a bottle, would i need to user a starter to propagate a larger amount, or would a single bottles worth be enough? would it just take the brett characteristics that much longer to develop or would it not have enough viability to do anything?

If you want to add it at bottling and want it to touch as little equipment as possible, dose each bottle with a pipette. With fresh Brett (from White Labs), I used 1-2 drops per 22 oz bottle.

Don't really know how to advise on the amount of dregs to use.

I adjusted priming sugar to account for (with my beer) a guesstimated 5 points of FG decrease from residual carbs eaten by the Brett. (I was shooting for about 5 volumes total CO2...Orval-like levels) In any case, I'd recommend using sturdy bottles (like champagne bottles).

Back