Bottling Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kman6234

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago and kept it in the primary for 2 weeks. Since then its been sitting in my secondary fermentor and seems to be doing fine.

I had ordered some 1 liter swing-top bottles so I could bottle the beer today. However, the bottles were back ordered and I haven't received them yet. It turns out they're not available until the end of November. To make a long story short I ordered the bottles from another supplier this morning and should receive them by this Thursday hopefully.

My question is will keeping the beer in the secondary and not bottling for another week have a negative affect? The beer is an irish red ale.

Yep, the longer you leave it in the secondary the more crisp and clear it will look. I once left an IPA in the secondary for 2 months and it came out being some of the clearest beer I've brewed.

The best thing about making beer is that procrastinating is always beneficial.

One thing you should look into is that the larger the bottle the less corn sugar you should be using. Not sure HOW much but my flip tops or bombers ALWAYS carb differently then normal bottles.

One thing you should look into is that the larger the bottle the less corn sugar you should be using. Not sure HOW much but my flip tops or bombers ALWAYS carb differently then normal bottles.

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware of this. I'll have to look into how much less sugar I should use.

You don't have to alter the sugar amount based on bottle size...the only thing to be aware of is that the beer will more likely take longer to carb up than a 12 ounce bottles....it's still the same amount of sugar to produce the same amount of co2 regardless of the size of the vessel....the only thing that changes is that it takes the yeasties longer to produce enough co2 to get reabsorbed in the beer.

Unless you're adding your sugar directly to the bottles, you don't want to alter the sugar amount for different bottle sizes. Use the standard 1 oz corn sugar per gallon of beer if batch priming. The larger bottles may take a few days longer to prime but the sugar ratio should still be the same.

You know now that you mention it... I brewed a batch a few months back and i bottled like 24 of them in swing top pint bottles and the rest i put in 12oz Sierra Nevada bottles. And the 16oz swing top pints actually took like 5 weeks to carbonate properly, as the 12oz Sierra nevada bottles were perfect in 14 days

Back