Bottling question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
When I was bottling my first batch of beer, I didnt realize that I filled 3-4 recylced bottles that turned out to be screw caps and of course when I went to cap them the cap would not seat correctly. I didn't want to dump the beer back into the bottling bucket, so I SLOWLY poured them into another bottle. Additionally, I didnt think to mark which ones I did this to.

What affect will this have on the beer, if any? The reason I ask is because I tend to only give bottles away to people that I have recycled as opposed to new ones that I bought for bottling, just me being cheap I guess. My wife wants to give a few bottles away to her work friends but I don't want them to possibly get a bad bottle.

What do you think?

Hello: I new here but not to brewing. You were smart not to dump the beer back into the bucket as that may contaminate the batch. If you were bottling in a clean environment you will be fine.

What about oxidation, do you think it may be an issue since it was poured in. I did it slowly and had the bottle it was going into tilted so it would not splash.

Pouring from one bottle to another could possibly be as risky as going into the bottling bucket. BUT there isn't really another option, except running out to the lhbs and buying a bench capper. Relax. It will either be fine or it won't....but it's not an entire batch, right?

Pouring from one bottle to another could possibly be as risky as going into the bottling bucket. BUT there isn't really another option, except running out to the lhbs and buying a bench capper. Relax. It will either be fine or it won't....but it's not an entire batch, right?

You're right. Just wanted to get opinions because I would hate to hand out a bad bottle to someone that wanted to taste homebrew. Thanks for the help.

You're right. Just wanted to get opinions because I would hate to hand out a bad bottle to someone that wanted to taste homebrew. Thanks for the help.

Oxidation issues are usually an aging issue. It doesn't usually show up for awhile. If you drink the beers relatively young after they've carbed and conditioned they should be fine.

Back