Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinBrewer

Reaction score
I pitched last Monday. I've had NO bubbling and a steady SG reading for the last 3 days. I took my fermenter out of the 70* swamp cooler and brought it downstairs to rack to my bottling bucket.

While getting everything sanitized, I caught a bubble blurp up in the airlock. I think its just the air/beer warming up in the headspace and expanding, what do you guys think? I don't want 2 cases of bottle-bombs.

Airlock bubbles can come from a lot of places. Sometimes it's CO2 that's being actively produced by fermenting yeast, and is a sign of active fermentation.

It can also be caused by temperature variations though: as the air in the carboy's headspace heats and expands, some will force its way out. Or, if the liquid in the carboy has dissolved CO2 in it (it does, if it's been fermenting) then agitating the liquid even slightly can cause CO2 to off-gas, regardless of whether fermentation is going on.

If you've had three days of constant SG, then you're ready to either bottle, keg, or rack to a secondary fermentor/bright tank. Don't worry about a few airlock bubbles.

awesome!! thanks! I"m racking it to a bottling bucket now :)

My fermenter started 'blurping' tonight too, when I brought it up to the kitchen to get ready to keg it. It's fine, though- the FG has been stable. It's just warmer in my kitchen than it was in the basement, so the co2 is coming out of solution a bit.

Bottle it! (I'll keg mine, but I'm with you in spirit! :mug:)

It might have been a delayed fart.

Yeast can get bloated too!

After moving my bucket or carboy around ready for bottling, bubbles happened.

No biggy. Just pat the fermenter on the butt and say, "Everything will be alright. You're going to a happy place!":mug:

It might have been a delayed fart.

Yeast can get bloated too!

After moving my bucket or carboy around ready for bottling, bubbles happened.

No biggy. Just pat the fermenter on the butt and say, "Everything will be alright. You're going to a happy place!":mug:

LMAO

Bull

all bottled up. 50 12oz in all. I'm already planning my next batch. I want to do an amber, or a nut brown ale.

This batch of Cooper's LME lager, 1lb corn sugar, 1lb pilsen DME came out a little darker than a pils. BUT the pre-bottle green flavor is somewhat like Boston Lager, medium bodied, rich malty flavor with a nice hop finish. I know it'll only get better in time.

I do a brew using a coopers real ale that is very boston lagery at 1 week old, but mellows way out after a few weeks. I kinda liked it better when green! It seemed to have that nice hop bite that puts a ring of flavor around your throat. But aged, it's gone. It's really super smooth and tasty mind you, but that hop bite mellowed right out.

I brewed another batch of it a week ago and plan to start in on them after only a week in the bottle this time, and not just a test bottle.

I know this is too late but 7 days is too quick to bottle. The beer may be done fermenting but the yeast produce a number of compounds that need some time post-fermentation to clean up (e.g. diacetyl). I've found that my beers are better when I leave them in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks before bottling. Even if my SG is stable after 4 days

Latest posts

Back