Bottling/priming goof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_B

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My brother and I just started our first brew two weeks ago and decided to bottle yesterday since the FG was down to where it should be (we think). Well, we were pretty geeked about it and got all into cleaning and sanitizing the bottles. Once finished, we went to filling and capping and when we got to around 35-40 bottles I looked at my brother and said "aww crap", and he knew right away what was missing. I know you guys will laugh at us...but that's fine, we laughed at ourselves, well deserved. We forgot the priming sugar! So I called the LHBS and I asked about priming tablets, but he didn't carry them and told me to try putting a very level 1/2 tsp of priming sugar into each bottle and cap them quickly because they might foam up on us. We did that without the bottles foaming up too much...about only a half an inch or so. So, I was wondering what some of you think will be the outcome of priming this way and if there should be any noticeable activity in the bottles besides the brief foam when pouring in the priming sugar.

Oh yeah, this being our first brew we were curious and tried one of the bottles that we didn't put priming sugar and it tasted pretty good, just uncarbonated, of course. Well, thanks in advance.

Tim

Well, congrats on the first brew, Tim. It is good that you pulled a save, although the results will most likely be inconsistent...but that's OK. You may see a mini Krausen (or cap of yeast) form in the bottle, but I have found this is mainly a function of what yeast strain you are using. For instance, I always see it with the WLP380 strain. Then others, you won't see anything. Best thing to do, is check one in a week (only one) after holding them to carbonate at the fermentation temperature. And in another week try one more (only one more) until the beer gets past the 'green' stage.

Well, congrats on the first brew, Tim. It is good that you pulled a save, although the results will most likely be inconsistent...but that's OK. You may see a mini Krausen (or cap of yeast) form in the bottle, but I have found this is mainly a function of what yeast strain you are using. For instance, I always see it with the WLP380 strain. Then others, you won't see anything. Best thing to do, is check one in a week (only one) after holding them to carbonate at the fermentation temperature. And in another week try one more (only one more) until the beer gets past the 'green' stage.

Thanks a lot! I'll do that. It's good to know that I didn't ruin it...completely that is. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot! I'll do that. It's good to know that I didn't ruin it...completely that is. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah, no matter how inconsistent your "sugaring" might have been, it's still better than trying to pour all the bottles into your bucket and starting over. I think you've safely avoided oxidation and made a successful brew.

Yeah, no matter how inconsistent your "sugaring" might have been, it's still better than trying to pour all the bottles into your bucket and starting over. I think you've safely avoided oxidation and made a successful brew.

Yeh, I'll agree w/ that. On a side note, if you think you may have slipped up on one or two and put way too much sugar in it, keep an eye on it-- priming per bottle like that is a great way to make some bottle bombs!

Congrats on starting to homebrew-- From the LHBS:

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime."

Hi, sorry to get back to ya so late. Thanks for the replies WillPall and Stevorino. It seems to be going well. I tried one today (five days after...couldn't wait LoL) and there is some carbonation. I won't bother it anymore until the two weeks is finished, but so far I can say I'm happy with my first homebrew. Thanks again for the advice!

Tim

Your method is fine. I've directly sugared a six pack here and there when I had a little too much to fit into a keg. I've used 3/4 teaspoon with no problems. They do like to foam up quite a bit due to all the nucleation points you introduce but I guess you had enough headspace.

Back