BOTTLING oven vs. iodine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
This is my first bottling ever!
I have two options:

1 sanitize bottles with oven. Heard that this makes the bottles brittle? Thoughts?

2 Use Iodine. In this step in the process won't it lead to off flavors in the bottles. should I rinse with cooled boiled water afterwards?

all help very much appreciated

I realize you probably have a reason, but is there a reason you aren't using Star San or some other one step sanitizer?

I have always just rinsed my bottles throughly with water and submerged them completely in Star San, allowing them to fill. After a minute to five minutes, I pull them from the Star San put them in a rack upside down and begin filling.

Iodine works very well. I used Betadine, Iodophor is another good choice. No off flavors at all.
With Star San you don't have to fill the bottles and wait 5 minutes, just put a cop of solution in one bottle, shake a little and pour the solution in another bottle. It will remain a lot of Star San on the inside of the bottle to sanitize it. I never had a problem with this method. The same is applied with Iodine and Bleach/vinegar sanitizer.

Iodophor is iodine based and StarSan works by changing the ph. Both, if used at the proper dilution or strength require no rinsing. Both are the most popular solutions to sanitizing for homebrewing.

I use Iodophor. I was using far too much the first couple of times, until I researched just how much to use.

1 Tablespoon of Iodophor per 5 gallons of water makes a sufficient no rinse sanitizer.

+1 for Star San. Been using it since my first batch. When you buy the large bottle, it ends up being pretty cheap per use (I mix up 2.5 gallons on brew day and 2.5 gallons on bottling day, so each batch of beer uses ~2Tbsp of StarSan). I recently bought a Vinator, and holy hell does that speed up bottling day!

I make Star San sith distilled water, i cand keep it indefinetly, usually i end up dumping it after 3-4 batches just because i want to make a new one.

Heat sterilizing them in the oven means getting the bottles really hot, and then you have to wait for them to cool. I have cracked bottles doing this. I do as everyone else says and just use Star San now. No worries since...

I've always used Iodophor as well.. super simple to make a batch and spray everything down.. no rinse. And the color fades after a little while so I have a visual cue of when i need to make another batch.

Back