Bottling in 5 days???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloha_Brew

Reaction score
I know I've heard the mantra from most on this site saying 21 days @ 70 degrees temp. However, I got some advice from a local shop where I buy my stuff that it was unnecessary. Instead, he said that with average Hawaii temps around 80 it should only take about 5 days. When I asked him about what was said on this site he said, "Yes, at 70 it probably would take 21 days. But I've never heard of that before. The longest I've heard of anyone waiting for bottle fermentation was 2 weeks with a very heavy beer." He's been brewing for a long time and has dealt with many people brewing from his shop so I doubt the 5 days thing is a pipe dream.

I'm just asking here if anyone has tried a shorter bottling time and noticed any major difference between a longer brewing time, tastewise, with a similar beer.

When you ferment at higher temperatures, you got more active yeast. But the yeast also produce many many off flavors at those temperatures. This is different from strain to strain, but with the exception of 1 style I know of, 80 is going to do that for any yeast.

That is why a lot of people stress over fermentation temperatures. Less active yeast at lower temperatures do the same job, just slower. Since they ferment slower they can also clean up their own off-flavor causing byproducts.

Yeast don't have a chance to at higher temperatures...especially if you bottle after 5 days

Ask 12 brewers the same question and you'll get 13 answers...all of them fairly 'correct'...but some will be 'better' than others.

:)

Although if fermentation is complete, bottling at 80 won't add much in terms of off flavors. There just won't be enough fermentation going on. But I completely agree that conditioning is crucial. A beer tasted after 2 weeks in the bottle is nothing compared to one a month in the bottle. I am sampling some of my last PAs that are 3 months old, and they are a..m..a..z..i..n..g. Enough said. :D :D

It sounds like no matter what, the longer you wait for the beer to mature the better it will taste; regardless of the gravity. I guess the only way to tell for sure is to do the testing for each kind of beer at different time intervals, opening up enough bottles to "ensure" a proper tasting and at least leaving enough to compare at longer intervals. As long as it is palatable I have no problem.

Playing devil's advocate though...has anyone made a taste comparison with natural carbonation for lighter gravity brews and always noticed a stark difference in taste after 5 days?

Ask 12 brewers the same question and you'll get 13 answers...all of them fairly 'correct'...but some will be 'better' than others.

:)

Exactly!

There are many different ways to make beer, I would venture to say that time in bottles is more important than time in the primary.

It sounds like no matter what, the longer you wait for the beer to mature the better it will taste; regardless of the gravity.

No really so. Beer is a perishable. Very few are still good after a year. Most peek in a month or two.

If you have poor control over the fermentation there will be off flavors that will age out a little over time. If you have a controlled fermentation there will be no off flavors and the beer will be much better young than the other will ever get.

Its hard to generalize about this, its really specific to the beer and your process. I find that most of the types of beers that I like making (and drinking) tend to be at their peak in about 2 or 3 months from the brew date (including both pre- and post- bottling time).

But let's not forget that living yeast acts as a preservative. And most brews, depending on style, are good for many months. Stouts, porters, etc peak for me in about 4-5 months and last for several years. Barley wines are not even really ready after at least a year and can last for 8 or more!

But let's not forget that living yeast acts as a preservative. And most brews, depending on style, are good for many months. Stouts, porters, etc peak for me in about 4-5 months and last for several years. Barley wines are not even really ready after at least a year and can last for 8 or more!

Very true, as well as the preservative aspect of hops. That is why my sanitation regime is more lax once the fermentation is established

I think the answer to the Original question is yes. If the fermentation is done, or nearly done, you can bottle in 5 days. I am not sure how much difference it will make leaving it in the warm fermenter for another 2 weeks after a warm fermentation as opposed to bottleing and waiting a few weeks.

But as said, it depends on the style of beer. I think homebrewers over-think things sometimes, myself included. If it is a simple beer made from all grain, from extract and steeped grains, or a kit. There is no need to wait too long to drink it, usually no need for a secondary and when it's done, it's done. I regularly make an APA that I usually bottle after two weeks in the primary. I add hops after 1 week.

Off topic, but I agree with other posters that you will increase the quality of your beer significantly by fermenting at a lower temp. But even at 70 deg. my APA is nearly done in 5 days. Luck!

I am in Honolulu and it takes me usually under a week to be fully carbed. The temps here are brutal for keeping a cool fermentation, but are a godsend for quick carbing or bulk aging. I have very fast turn around times with my session style stouts that don't have a green phase. Ferment, bottle, drink. 3 weeks.

Although if fermentation is complete, bottling at 80 won't add much in terms of off flavors. There just won't be enough fermentation going on. But I completely agree that conditioning is crucial. A beer tasted after 2 weeks in the bottle is nothing compared to one a month in the bottle. I am sampling some of my last PAs that are 3 months old, and they are a..m..a..z..i..n..g. Enough said. :D :D

It may be enough said, but it should on page one of every brewing manual, and as a sticky at the top of every forum:

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PATIENCE.

The heat we experience here speeds up the aging process as well. It does not just miraculously carb the brew faster, it conditions it faster. Which also means less shelf life.

I'm setting up a pump and cooling system through a mini fridge into my two tubs. With that done, hopefully by this weekend, I can brew over the weekend and put the Irish Stout in the carboy and the Scottish Ale in the bucket. That way I don't have to worry about the temperature during fermentation.I'll see how things work out and repost.

Thanks all for the advice. I greatly appreciate it.:rockin:

I live in Arizona, and it's a fortune to keep the house under 80 in the summer. My bottles condition at 80 degrees or so, and yes, they do have decent levels of carbonation after 4-5 days because of the warmer temps. Butttt, they are definitely still green after 4-5 days. They taste better after 2 weeks, and MUCH better after 2 months.

If at all possible, leave them be for at least 2-3 weeks. @80* they will probably be carbed after 5 days, but they'll taste 100% better if you wait longer.

Well, since that was my first brew and I think of it more as a training experience (plus I was really thirsty...) I have already started drinking the bottles. I'm going to leave a few for the longer timeframe to compare taste, but as far as carbonation goes it was pretty much completed after about 4 days. I'm mainly concerned about my cooling for my fermentation right now and then after I get back I'll see about bottling.

If I got the money at that point I may forego bottling and just get some cornies and do natural carbonation in them till I get a chest freezer.

Back