Bottling from my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
I am going to fill some swing top bottles and give them away for Christmas.
I am going to refrigerate the bottles and clean and sanitize them then fill them with beery goodness.

My questionis this: I know that CO2 comes out of suspension when the beer gets warm, will the bottles have a problem if this happens?
They will get warm when I transport them for delivery.
What is the thought on this?

Thanks!

I am going to fill some swing top bottles and give them away for Christmas.
I am going to refrigerate the bottles and clean and sanitize them then fill them with beery goodness.

My questionis this: I know that CO2 comes out of suspension when the beer gets warm, will the bottles have a problem if this happens?
They will get warm when I transport them for delivery.
What is the thought on this?

Thanks!

Search for the "We don't need no stinking beer gun" thread.

Some of those threads are hundreds of replies and filtering them is almost impossible.

The beer will be fine. Even if it warms up for a short period. I bottle from the tap a lot and occasionally have some that get left in a cooler and warm up. They taste fine after re-chilling and as long you don't leave a lot of headspace in the bottle, the carbonation will hold.

sudsmcgee said:
Indefinitely if lids are properly sealed.

+1. As long as you "cap on foam" you should technically be better off than if you were bottle conditioning as you should have little to no air in the bottle to oxidize the beer.

Indefinitely if lids are properly sealed.

Wish that were true. Very old beers certainly lose their carbonation, although I can't tell you where it gos. I had a 24-yr old bottle of commercial beer (that I purchased when fresh) that totally lost its carbonation. I know others have experienced that as well.

I've opened up 3-yr-old homebrews that were still carbed. So I'd guess the answer is between 3 and 24 years :)

... They taste fine after re-chilling and as long you don't leave a lot of headspace in the bottle, the carbonation will hold.

This is important, any headspace you leave in the bottle (including space with foam that'll sink back down after a while) is space your carbonation will equalize OUT of your beer, and into. So fill them as full with actual liquid as you possibly can.

I've made holy messes doing this before but it's worked, the beergun thread referenced here has good info on the main post but I didn't have the picnic tap so I just plugged some hose onto my faucet and poured with low pressure. It worked after a few failed attempts that gave me half filled, and thus half carbed, bottles.

passedpawn said:
Wish that were true. Very old beers certainly lose their carbonation, although I can't tell you where it gos. I had a 24-yr old bottle of commercial beer (that I purchased when fresh) that totally lost its carbonation. I know others have experienced that as well.

I've opened up 3-yr-old homebrews that were still carbed. So I'd guess the answer is between 3 and 24 years :)

I think you took "indefinitely" too literally. That, to me, means a year/ year and a half tops...not 24!

Post Mortem. Everything went well enough however keep a big bucket under the work area because you will spill volumes of foam. Also, one keg ran out which caused a big mess.
Otherwise, all went well.

Back