Bottling from conical: How does this idea sound to everyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb3456

Reaction score
OK -
So I just upgraded to a SS conical and I would like to bottle form the conical so as to avoid sanitizing my bottling bucket and exposing the wort/beer to lots of air.

I would like to add the priming sugar solution through the small door on the lid of my fermentor and stir it with a long handled spoon (I will still expose the beer, but less than I would with a bucket).

I know that this might bring some of the yeast resting on the bottom into suspension (i have read that it is virtually impossible to remove all yeast, even with conicals and regular dumping), but my big question is this:

What if i poured in the priming sugar into the conical, stirred and waited about 1-2 hours before bottling?

Wouldnt that reduce yeast sediment when using the higher racking port on the conical or would it take longer than 1-2 hours for the yeast to drop to the bottom? Are there any disadvantages here?

Thanks everyone!!

If you drop the yeast from your bottom port periodically, like over a couple days, you should have clear beer with the bulk of the yeast removed. When you are ready to bottle, give it one last drop, stir in your priming and rock. No need to wait the extra time. No problems.

Great! thanks much for the response. I will give that a try. I am not really sure what to expect.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back