Bottling directly from Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BandonBrewingCo

Reaction score
Dosing spoons and carbonation drops are too inexact for me.

I don't trust me and plastic buckets for batch priming. I will somehow get an infection.

So, what I'm going to do is get my sugar water to an amount that means each bottle gets a nice round amount like 5ml and then use an automatic continuous syringe that vets use to dose the bottles

Has anyone ever tried this before? Seems like it could make bottling still quiet easy, exact and very low risk wrt infection. Especially as I use a SS bottling wand and a silicone hose.

Last edited:
I just put the priming solution in my conical FV and then circulate the wort in it till I'm comfortable that it's mixed well enough.

Some people have been using a syringe to dose each bottle with priming solution for a long time. So whatever floats your boat. For me it'd be too tedious even with a doser you don't have to fill each time. I won't knock you down and threaten to take your beer brewer's certificate away from you for doing so if that's what you prefer.

I just put the priming solution in my conical FV and then circulate the wort in it till I'm comfortable that it's mixed well enough.

Some people have been using a syringe to dose each bottle with priming solution for a long time. So whatever floats your boat. For me it'd be too tedious even with a doser you don't have to fill each time. I won't knock you down and threaten to take your beer brewer's certificate away from you for doing so if that's what you prefer.
Do you dump the trüb first? If so, do you just forget about the last bit of beer under the racking arm? Or are you filling from the dump valve?

Well of course I dump the trub first. If you don't then you aren't even going to be able to bottle from the conical as you indicated was a desire in your op. Though I guess you might have one of those conicals that have a spigot coming off the side that is above the trub and rack from that, or even do the more exact use of the term "racking" with a cane and tube from the top.

My conical only has a valve on the bottom and after the trub dump... which takes several days for me, I can bottle from the bottom. Racking just creates more issues. Slight though they are.

My conical only has a valve on the bottom and after the trub dump... which takes several days for me, I can bottle from the bottom. Racking just creates more issues. Slight though they are.

What??? What conical and or procedure have you that a trüb dump takes days???

I have a 3 gallon fastferment. I've modified it with a adapter on the bottom to give me a 1-½" sanitary connection so I could use a sight glass with butterfly valve. So if I'm not careful the beer can push passed the trub. So then I have to stop and wait 12 to 24 hours for the trub to fill the void in it created by the beer rushing through it.

I could sacrifice some beer, but with just 2.5 gallons in the FV, I'd rather save as much as I can.

I also could probably just close the valve and then remove the sight glass and dump it's contents, but then I'd have to deal with the air that is in the sight glass if I wish to put it back on. Which I would since I wait till my beer is clear before I ever think about bottling it.

Update: did this with a 200ml syringe with a 10ml dose per 500ml bottle.

Had 140g sugar for 20L. Topped up with water to get 400ml for 40 bottles.

Worked a treat, will be doing this from now on.

Back