Bottling Force Carbed Beer From 2L Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbread23

Reaction score
So, I have a awesome barley wine that unfortunately never bottle carbed. At times I've poured the flat beer into a 2L bottle and force carbed with a carbonator cap with excellent results. I'd like to be able to transfer the beer from 2L bottle to 12oz. bottle for competitions, but can't really think of any good ways to do this. Any ideas?

How about a simple siphon from the 2 liter bottle to a bottle wand in the 12 ounce bottle? Or if you want to get a bit more fancy, use a drilled stopper with a length of racking cane to the bottom of the 2 liter bottle, but drill another small hole in the stopper and insert a short, narrow tube to allow that bottle to stay at atmospheric pressure during the siphon.

I cannot say that I have ever tried it, but I do not see any reason that it would not work. You may have to get the bottles very cold, and use another stopper in the top of the 12 ounce bottle that you use to keep counterpressure, and periodically "bleed" by pushing it sideways with your thumb.

Alternatively, if you already have the gas, use a corny keg and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Thanks for the insight Jeff. I might give the siphon a go, but am thinking the foaming might be excessive (although I could probably overcarb to compensate for lost co2). In the end, it'll probably be easier to just pop all the tops, throw the beer in a purged corny and carb / bottle as I normally would.

Kinda curious too to see if its possible to modify a carbonator cap with some sort of dip tube and then use Beer Gun or counter pressure filler to fill the bottles...

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but did anyone have any success with this? I'm thinking it's easiest to buy a 1.75gal keg and using a counter-pressure bottle filler from the keg.

Back