Bottling First Brew -- Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
Good morning all,

After a long wait (Brew date of mid-january), I tasted the Belgian Tripel i made as my first brew and I think its time to bottle. Taste pretty good and it is around 8-9% ABV right now base on my calculations. I am pretty excited to bottle but have one question.

I know I have to boil priming sugar before adding it, does it matter what kind of pot i use to do this? I know you did want to boil the wort in a regular aluminum pot because of oxidation worries, if its not pre-treated/conditioned, but does it matter for the boiling of the priming sugar.

Optional: I had this beer in my primary from about Jan15th to Feb 7th or so, then in my secondary till now. Do you think 2 weeks or 3 weeks 60-70 degrees. Then another week in the fridge.

Looking forward to finishing this one and start two more.

Thanks.

At 8-9%ABV it will take longer to carb up than a 4-5% beer that takes 3 weeks at 70+ degrees. I have not made one that big yet but I have heard the pros here say 6-8 weeks or more to carb one that size. I'm sure someone will chime in soon to confirm or negate this.

Alright, thanks for that info. I don't know why Brewers Best put easy on the Belgian Tripel box, I was pretty mislead as a new brewer 6 months ago. Ill definitely wait the 6-8 week if that is what it takes to get a great beer.

Usually 3 weeks at 70 and all of my beers have carbed, some 9% triples included. Exception was a 12% RIS, but thats a litle more extreme. Crack one after 3 weeks (+1 week fridge) and see how carbonated it is.

Since its your first, I'd drunk half of the batch, but try to hide a 12 pack or two away for 12-24 months aging. Its a good education to see how Belgians evolve over time.

Start more batches now. Maybe some smaller ones that are ready to drink in 6-8 weeks :)

Can anyone help me out on whether if its ok to just boil the priming sugar in a regular aluminum pot?

It is fine to boil in a regular CLEAN kitchen pan.
Not sure how much priming sugar you are using for that tripel, but usually 2 cups water to a boil for a few minutes, add sugar and stir until all dissolved.

My contention: you don't need to boil it. I think it's useful to heat up the solution to make it easier for the sugar to dissolve, and there may be some benefit from getting it above 170F to pasteurize it. Boiling is unnecessary.
Second contention: If you do, there's nothing wrong with using an aluminum pot. It is widely reported there's no issue with boiling your wort in aluminum, so priming sugar should be even less of a concern.

I use a Pyrex flask, myself, but that's just because I have one.

Bacchus00 said:
Can anyone help me out on whether if its ok to just boil the priming sugar in a regular aluminum pot?

When I used to bottle I used my regular kitchen pots for my priming sugar and I never had a problem. So I say go for it with your aluminum pot.

Back