bottling directly from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbtasdfg

Reaction score
My carboy is broken. Can I cool my beer in my garage at 45 degrees for a few days to clear it and let the sediment settle out then just bottle directly from the primary fermenting bucket if the gravity has bottomed out and stays stable?

Sure. There's no reason to rack to a secondary if you don't need to. Most of the brewers on here rack from their primary to a bottling bucket to aid in their beer transfer into bottles. It does help settle out the beer a little more, but if you have a racking cane and/or gravity fed tubing, there's no reason you can't go directly from primary to bottling/kegging. Moreso if you have a nice tight yeast cake.

i just tried this yesterday with my heffeweizen... seems like it came out pretty clear

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

If I've worked all that hard for extremely clear beer, why would I then mix it all up again to mix the priming solution in, when I can easily mix it in while I'm also racking off the yeast cake which I patiently waited to drop and tighten?

If your adding priming solution to bulk prime, just go to a hardware store and get a bucket and makes a dedicated bottling bucket.

I rack from primary bucket to bottling bucket (I have always used the latter), but I wouldn't see any difficulty in going directly to bottle from the primary in an emergency. The batch I did yesterday (the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout clone from the recipes section) had a small, very dense trub layer in the primary, so it would have been a piece of cake to do it that way, I think.

Back