Bottling apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loh777

Reaction score
So I decided to bottle into half gallon jugs for this batch. I did not carb any of it and I do like the taste. But SWMBO has decided she likes it better carbonated. My question is can I carb up only a couple of the half gallon jugs? Is it okay to carb in containers with the plastic screw tops? Also if I can do this how much priming sugar is it per half gallon container?

What kind of half gallon jugs did you use? If they're similar to milk jugs, then they are not rated for pressure. If you want to carbonate it, put it in plastic soda bottles. Sometimes I just buy some 2 liter bottles of store-brand seltzer, poor it down the drain, then reuse the bottle.

if they are not bottles that contained something under pressure when you got them; soda, beer, champagne, then don't try it. if they are plastic they will leak, and if glass they will hopefully leak before they explode. even growlers aren't meant for carbonating, they just hold pre-carbonated beer for a few days.

If they are the brown plastic beer bottles like I have sure just open them up and I believe 1.5 teaspoons of normal sugar cap them up and keep t about 70f for a couple of weeks and swmbo will be very happy

Back