Bottling after extended aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
So I have Saison I brewed back in early December. I let is ferment down as far as it could with WLP644. This took it to about 1.016 by early January. I then hit it with some WLP650 Brett and let it sit till now.

The grav is down to 1.000 and I think it tastes pretty good. I am worried that there isn't enough active yeast left after that long of a period to carbonate in bottles.

Should I take some Saison yeast I harvested and pitch it in during bottling to ensure carbonation?

If it has been four months you should be just fine. If you are worried about it, rehydrate about a 1/4 pack of dry yeast and add to your bottling bucket.

I usually use EC-1118 after long conditioning. It works great and is cheap. I'm actually in the minority in that I'm starting to add a little EC-1118 each time I bottle. It drives me crazy how some beer can carbonate in 1 week and others take 4 or longer. I do small batches so I don't like wasting beer when they are not fully carbonated. I've just got in the habit of adding a little yeast at bottling to make sure all of my batches are carbonated at 2 to 3 weeks.

i have never used them, but im pretty sure the bottling tablets you can get at the LHBS have sugar and a bit of yeast in them. Though, i could be wrong. Someone will correct me im sure :D

i have never used them, but im pretty sure the bottling tablets you can get at the LHBS have sugar and a bit of yeast in them. Though, i could be wrong. Someone will correct me im sure :D

Oh I won't be using carb tabs. I have plenty of dextrose, just wanted to see if a small amount of yeast in the bottling bucket would be good. I will hit it with a little bit. Can't hurt.

Back