Bottling a 2 1/2 year old sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer83

Reaction score
I brewed a flanders red sour in September of 2011. I used the White labs sour yeast. Cant even remember which one but it was the one in BCS Flanders red. The beer has been sitting in carboys since.

I am going to finally bottle all 10g on Wednesday. I havent bottled in a few years and I am not sure if adding sugar will be enough. Will there still be any active yeast that will help with carbonation? Do I need to add some yeast?

Anyone with some experience would be helpful.

Thank you!

The safest route would be to add champagne yeast with the priming sugar.

It has a high alcohol tolerance, works quickly, and will not add any yeast flavors to your beer. Use 1/5 of a dry packet (this is plenty for carbonation, but not so much that you have 1/2" sludge on the bottom of every bottle), rehydrated and mix it in the bottling bucket along with your priming sugar.

You *could* go without, but a beer sitting for that long might take white a while to carb up. So use champagne yeast!

The safest route would be to add champagne yeast with the priming sugar.

It has a high alcohol tolerance, works quickly, and will not add any yeast flavors to your beer. Use 1/5 of a dry packet (this is plenty for carbonation, but not so much that you have 1/2" sludge on the bottom of every bottle), rehydrated and mix it in the bottling bucket along with your priming sugar.

You *could* go without, but a beer sitting for that long might take white a while to carb up. So use champagne yeast!

Awesome! Sounds pretty easy. Thank you!

Back