Bottles - Twistoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamo99

Reaction score
I picked up a case of beer today, thinking that I could reuse the non-twistoff bottles for my homebrew. The bottles aren't twist-off, but when I pop the cap off, the rings are there that I would expect on a twistoff bottle. This is the second time that I have noticed this and I'm wondering if I can reuse these bottles with my own brew/caps. Has anyone reused these bottles before and with good or bad results?

They are from Otter Creek brewery out of Vermont. They are 12 oz longnecks with a 33 on the bottom of the bottle.

Edit: Scratch that number on the bottom of the bottle. That was just that particular one. The numbers vary.

I've used them without any problems, although if you plan on aging your beer you may find that twist-offs are more prone to oxidation.

you'd be best off using a bench capper. wing cappers may not seat the cap properly and it won't be a perfect seal...so flat beer, and possible infections in some bottles.

I had the same problem with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale two weeks ago. Decided not to reuse them. I hope this isn't a trend.

I use twist offs with my bench capper and I've had no carbonation problems. A wing capper will tear the top right off some twist offs though . I cap, turn 90', push down again, then give a gentle tightening twist. Bottling is always a bit messy so I rinse my bottles after capping in warm water. In the last few hundred bottles I have only heard one hissing after I rinsed and I just twisted it tight.

The caps I use are labelled suitable for twist offs but I don't know if they're any different.

I actually collected a whole bunch of Leffe bottles. They aren't twist off but they are a pain to cap with my capper. A combination of the bottle shape and capper I guess.

For the time being I'm going to take the better safe than sorry route. It's not like beer bottles rarely pass through here. I might use a few as test bottles, but won't risk much of any of my batches.

Back