Bottles effecting my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBrew08

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a couple of questions for yall about a recently bottled beer. As normal, i share several bottles with the guys I work with (too maybe get them interest in making their own). Anyway, I haven't had this problem yet but 2 of them say that this certain beer is very carbonated. I never use a calculator when bottling. Usually I just use about 4oz of priming sugar in about 4.5 gallons of beer. I always clean my bottles after I pour a beer from them and I clean them again before I bottle.I've done the same bottle cleaning process before bottling all my brews and if this is the problem maybe I need to change.

Question is, is it possible that is a bottle is no perfectly clean it will effect the carbing of the Brew?

One co-worker drank from the bottle and didnt pour it and said yup, it's very fizzy. The other poured on in a glass. In the first picture, that's the one my co-worker poured, the other one is mine. Of course though, when I saw this I told him you had to of pour to aggressive or something because there is no way, but he tried it again last night and had the same results.

Have you guys ever experienced this and what steps did you take to to resolve it?

:mug:

Thanks!

Drew

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Your second beer looks perfect. Are you sure this guy knows how to properly pour a beer? :) I would try a few more on your own. If they end up looking more like #2 than #1, then you have your answer.

Thanks for the feed back guys. Mmm I'd say that his bottle was 3-4 days, mine was about the same. I never keep them in the fridge any longer than that anyway.

Yes of course Revvy! I soak them for a little while before bottling. There is one thing in my bottling process that might be a bad thing. I usually soak my bottles, then put them in (of course clean) dishwasher. Then turn on the heat dry for a little while. I know you can bottle right on top of the Stansan but i mainly do the dishwasher thing for holding the bottles (because i open my dishwasher and bottle there in case of spills. I might of gotten that from you Revvy, not sure). I've done this with all my brews, so I figured I have never had a problem (until now), why change it process?

Should I just skip the whole dishwasher dry cycle?

Thanks for the feed back guys. Mmm I'd say that his bottle was 3-4 days, mine was about the same. I never keep them in the fridge any longer than that anyway.

Yes of course Revvy! I soak them for a little while before bottling. There is one thing in my bottling process that might be a bad thing. I usually soak my bottles, then put them in (of course clean) dishwasher. Then turn on the heat dry for a little while. I know you can bottle right on top of the Stansan but i mainly do the dishwasher thing for holding the bottles (because i open my dishwasher and bottle there in case of spills. I might of gotten that from you Revvy, not sure). I've done this with all my brews, so I figured I have never had a problem (until now), why change it process?

Bottle right on top of the star san. It becomes much less effective if you let it dry, it's designed to be used while wet. All you're doing with the dishwasher is wasting your time and electricity.

Other than that, I'm with libeerty. If you see this in a beer that you know has been properly chilled and poured, it might be time to worry.

I would. The sanitizers we use are wet contact, no rinse sanitizers that means as long as the area is wet, it is still a killzone for anything microbial that comes in contact with it.

To me if you're killing off the sanitizer by letting it dry, anything that comes into contact with the surface renders it un sanitized. Take it for what you wish, but I like knowing my starsan is still doing it's job.

Maybe I missed it, but how long have these been bottle carbing? I think I read somewhere in another post that sometimes if a beer is at a point where it has been carbing up just long eough to have a lot of CO2, but not long enough for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer itself, you can get gushers or too much head. I have seen this with a few beers. Its a strange phenomenon that I do not know the science behind it. :drunk: Maybe someone older and wiser can validate that for me!

Latest posts

Back