Bottled my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getzinator

Reaction score
This past Saturday SWMBO and I sanitized everything, brewed a second batch into the primary, bottled what was in our secondary. Took us about three and a half hours including clean up.

Can't wait to taste the first finished product in a few weeks!:tank:

Congrats, :ban:
We are right behind you, this friday my wife and I will be bottling our first batch too.
but we will be brewing our 3 batch on friday :tank:

Thanks
WiliECoyote

Thanks for all the support. Never met a group of people so interested in the type of beer I'm drinking! :D

Just bottled an American Amber Ale, and I've got an American Light Ale in Primary. SWMBO really wanted something light, and with all her help and support (and not freaking about the beer splattered floor) I was happy to oblige.

I'll probably start my third brewing around the time I get the second bottled. Any suggestions on what I should brew?

Now the night mare begins. First you are doing great then you realize you are brewing to much and need to drink more to keep empty bottles. Then after a valiant effort of staying drunk 24/7 you break down and buy more bottles. Then you realize you need to step up your production to fill all the new bottles.

After awhile you get to the point of building a keezer and buying kegs.

Aint life grand :)

I'll probably start my third brewing around the time I get the second bottled. Any suggestions on what I should brew?

I vote for Bavarian Hefeweizen, if you like that style. Northern Brewer sells a good kit, or you can brew it pretty easy without a kit. They also have a good Nut Brown Ale kit. Lots of good choices, really - with or without a kit.

I vote for Bavarian Hefeweizen, if you like that style. Northern Brewer sells a good kit, or you can brew it pretty easy without a kit. They also have a good Nut Brown Ale kit. Lots of good choices, really - with or without a kit.

I usually stick with whatever my LHBS carries. Buy local and all.
They carry Brewers Best Kits, but I can always buy the ingredients myself and mimic the kit.

The hefe sounds great, because I think SWMBO would prefer that. And keeping her happy never hurt!

Do an IPA .. why ... cause I like em :D

I'm a big IPA fan too. My buddy is actualy about to get into the Home Brew scene, and I know he's going to want to make a lot of IPA's. He thinks Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA, if you know about that sort of thing.

So I'll just have him make all the IPA's I want to try:p

I think a keezer = keg freezer, kegarator = Keg refridgerator. Basically it is made out of a freezer. A must have for the serious kegger !

Congrats on the first batch! I hope it turns out great! Mine was so-so but drinkable!

Since you have a lighter beer in the works I'd go for something darker or with more hop. Maybe an Irish red or Indian brown ale? APA?
Or since summer is on the way maybe a summer beer with some lemon and orange zest?

What a beautiful mess :fro:

So what makes a keezer different from a kegerator, always wondered? But I plan on having one as soon as I move out of this small apartment anyway.

A keezer is a freezer that you convert to hold kegs of beer with a tap on top. It also is the spot where I am at in the whole beer making deal. I got the freezer but I am moving and will not do anything with it until I am in the next house.

I do enjoy brewing. And as a bonus I end up with tons of beer to share with my friends. LOL If I get to brewing ten gallon batches though I am going to need to get some more friends

Very cool. I bottled my first last Friday and brewed my second batch that same day. I (naturally) buckled and bought more bottles with the flip tops. So far I have done a citrus wheat (thanks twoheads brewing) and Shillelagh Irish Red (thanks nukebrewer) I want to do an IPA or Stout next. Any good recipes for a fellow with limited gains to choose from:eek:

Congrats on the first batch! I hope it turns out great! Mine was so-so but drinkable!

Since you have a lighter beer in the works I'd go for something darker or with more hop. Maybe an Irish red or Indian brown ale? APA?
Or since summer is on the way maybe a summer beer with some lemon and orange zest?
Yeah, I was definitely thinking more summeresque. I figured the hefeweizen would be along those lines.

Very cool. I bottled my first last Friday and brewed my second batch that same day. I (naturally) buckled and bought more bottles with the flip tops. So far I have done a citrus wheat (thanks twoheads brewing) and Shillelagh Irish Red (thanks nukebrewer) I want to do an IPA or Stout next. Any good recipes for a fellow with limited gains to choose from:eek:
Fancy with the flip tops, I want to get some of those myself. But I'll probably wait for a little while on that. Mucho dinero. :(

A keezer is a freezer that you convert to hold kegs of beer with a tap on top. It also is the spot where I am at in the whole beer making deal. I got the freezer but I am moving and will not do anything with it until I am in the next house.

I do enjoy brewing. And as a bonus I end up with tons of beer to share with my friends. LOL If I get to brewing ten gallon batches though I am going to need to get some more friends

Keezer in my future :rockin:
Definitely waiting til I move, though. No chance I'll fit one until I get an actual house.

So what makes a freezer better than a fridge? Seems like it would be too cold.

Keezer in my future :rockin:
Definitely waiting til I move, though. No chance I'll fit one until I get an actual house.

So what makes a freezer better than a fridge? Seems like it would be too cold.

At least two different ways that I know of to raise the temperature. One you can adjust the coarse adjustment screw on the the temp controller or you can buy a temp controller that you plug the freezer into.

Since I am a old cabinet maker I am going to build the keezer into a bar set up once my new wife and I get settled. And because a freezer will set under a bar it will fit my plans better than a fridge.

I am thinking though that I need to get a new home for the cows and chickens set up before I start building the bar.

LOL I guess I need to decide if I want a beer with my steak or steak with my beer

So is this a freezer chest? Like the top opening kind? Totally lost.

Also: Varmintman, you raise livestock? I'm actually very interested in raising chickens in my new home. Well... in the yard anyway

So is this a freezer chest? Like the top opening kind? Totally lost.

Also: Varmintman, you raise livestock? I'm actually very interested in raising chickens in my new home. Well... in the yard anyway

It is a small freezer that you place your kegs in and build a coffin on top for the taps. Lots of good threads here and ideas on how to build it.

I do raise stock...well not the last couple of years. I was in a accident and broke my back pretty good and just have not felt good enough until now to start back up again.

Chickens. Sigh I swore I would never raise another chicken as long as I lived but my wife wants them so I guess I get foul meat again LOL.

One thing to think about with stock is you pretty much have to be there to water and feed all the time. Cows will stay in the pasture as long as they have food and water and a good fence but chickens have to be cooped up or the foxes or coyotes will get them. Not to mention for some reason skunks like to hang around chickens.

Here is a link to some photos of some very nice keezers

https://www.google.com/search?q=kee...Q&biw=1280&bih=576&sei=PGSNT7-kCsSbiQLQ25jcCA

Hey Getzinator. You say you like IPA's and you are getting the Brewer's Best kits. Next year when they Falconers Flight EIPA comes out. Get one. Or I can give you the ingredients now and you can go to you LHBS and get them to make you up a kit. I loved it.

I would love to know what ingredients you used. Kits are only like training wheels right now, and in a few months I hope to be doing everything as a partial mash. So extract brewing sans pre-made kit sounds like fun.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking more summeresque. I figured the hefeweizen would be along those lines.

Fancy with the flip tops, I want to get some of those myself. But I'll probably wait for a little while on that. Mucho dinero. :(

I found mine at a local brew store 12 for 20$. Grolsch use those bottles as well if you feel like drinking those down. Also, summer citrus wheat in the recipe section (two heads) is awesome. Mine turned out a bit cloudy because I did not rack it but it taste divine.

Nice, I'll have top check my LHBS on the flip top prices, everything else they carry is fairly priced. I don't know if I can get Grolsch around me. I haven't seen it stocked around here.

I do raise stock...well not the last couple of years. I was in a accident and broke my back pretty good and just have not felt good enough until now to start back up again.

Chickens. Sigh I swore I would never raise another chicken as long as I lived but my wife wants them so I guess I get foul meat again LOL.

One thing to think about with stock is you pretty much have to be there to water and feed all the time. Cows will stay in the pasture as long as they have food and water and a good fence but chickens have to be cooped up or the foxes or coyotes will get them. Not to mention for some reason skunks like to hang around chickens.

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds painful.

I just think the idea of fresh eggs all the time sounds awesome. Luckily we don't have much of a coyote problem here in Delaware. :D Fox would be an issue though. Now would a good sized pen around the coop help? We're usually home to care for everything, but we do take weekend trips on occassion. I guess I would have to find either a sitter or a feed and water system for those times.

Tried my beer three times this weekend, once Friday, Saturday, Sunday each. It's amazing how much just a little more time can help. I'm gonna have a hard time keeping my batches in the conditioning stage when it already tastes so good!

Hey Getzinator. You say you like IPA's and you are getting the Brewer's Best kits. Next year when they Falconers Flight EIPA comes out. Get one. Or I can give you the ingredients now and you can go to you LHBS and get them to make you up a kit. I loved it.

Didn't know if you had the opportunity to find that ingredients list, but I'm going to the LHBS this week for my next batch this weekend. Let me know if you can!

Back