Bottled Johnny Jump Up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't see a recipe for it but I didn't dig too deep. If anyone knows a link, could you post it? I have a 3 gallon batch of cider fermenting and want to split it up and try some things. I was thinking about what Jameson would do in a secondary fermentor. Has anyone tried it?

Did you look in the recipe section here on HBT, Cool? I'm not sure that secondarying with whiskey would do much beyond just blending them would at bottling, but I've never tried it - sounds like an experiment!

I looked on this site but I've been using the iPhone app, so it's a little harder searching recipes. By the way, I love that there's an iPhone app... the only one in the app store. I thought it sounded interesting. I'm pretty new at this and there are so many different things I want to try... It makes me feel like my primaries take forever. It might be time to buy the bigger carboy. A shot of Jameson per bottle could be pretty interesting.... probably have to clear my schedule for the night when it's drinkable.... Then again, who knows how drinkable it would be? I'm thinking it's worth a shot (pun partly intended).

I'm a new member to the site so I've spent more time on my phone than on the website. It'd be worth getting, it's free. There are some beer brewing video apps but I wasn't too interested. I don't think that recipe had whiskey? Although I've only had it as a bar drink, it's been whiskey and cider.

So, I don't if I would actually try this. Does anyone know if whiskey has sugar that would reactivate yeast? Someone just explained a Johnny jump up as a drink for alcoholics who like to mix booze with booze... Uhhhhh, I'm still interested

I'm sorry being the A-hole that bumps his thread but I'm really curious about racking/bottling with whiskey. I know it probably will turn out like crap but I'm willing to sacrifice a few bottles for an experiment. Does anyone know how much sugar is in whiskey? I've had people tell me "no" don't do it, it'll taste like sh**... but I have the idea and want to try it, anyway.

I think the alcohol level of the whiskey will make a toxic environment for the yeast, meaning that it would keep the yeast from working to carbonate the cider. I suppose that depends on how much whiskey you use. What would be the advantage of bottling like this? If you want to mix cider and whiskey, you can do it when you serve, like a cocktail.

I've heard that Jack Daniels sells wood chips from barrels they have used, it was in one of the other threads I have read today.. forget which one. Either in the mead or cider forum first page! Other than that, you could definitely age in a bourbon barrel for something similar I guess?

I made some Hard Cider last fall and ran it up to the alcohol tolerance of the yeast so it would finish sweet, about 1.030, and aged it with a stick of medium toast french oak for 3 weeks. After some experimentation last month, about 1oz Jameson per pint turned out great. 1.5oz per pint was too much. I added a 750 to 3 gallons and two cases of pints are in the cellar aging right now. :mug:

Back