Bottled Beer Darkening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachary80

Reaction score
This is more out of curiosity than anything else

Our third batch of beer, the Houblonmonstre from Northern Brewer, continues to get darker. At bottling it was a bit deeper gold than expected (partial boil), and now when it pours it almost looks more like a hazy brown ale, and the head is bone-white. My only guess is that it is a result of oxidation, but there are no off-flavors or aromas, and it tastes the same as before IIRC. We went through our process and can't see anything that would have caused the oxidation anyway. Any ideas?

Brewed 2/9/11
Bottled into brown bottles and stored in a dark closet 3/26/11
Fully carbed and delicious on 4/20/11. Storage moved to my 55 degree beer cellar
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/houblonmonstre-tripel-ipa-extract-kit-1.html

I have read before that yeast that are still in suspension make a beer look lighter in color. It could be that since bottling, more yeast have settled out leading to the lighter color. Just a guess though.

Back