bottle sanitation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiles3333

Reaction score
Hi all-
My dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle on it- Do you think this is sufficient for sanitizing bottles, or is it probably smarter to dunk the bottles in star-san and use the dishwasher as a drying rack only? Thanks,
Ben

If you bottles are clean, the dishwasher will sanitize them. If you try this don't add any detergent. It will get into your bottles and ruin head retention in your beer.

RichBrewer said:
If you bottles are clean, the dishwasher will sanitize them. If you try this don't add any detergent. It will get into your bottles and ruin head retention in your beer.

Jet Dry in your dishwasher has the same effect.

The dishwasher will sanitize them, but not sterilize them. That said, sterilization isn't necessary. As long as they're clean, run them in the sanitize cycle. That's the only way I've ever done it, and never had a problem. I think it's easier - run the bottles, then you can pull them out and fill them up on the dishwasher door as you go.

Back