Bottle now or later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clumzi

Reaction score
So, here is the story. I have a Piraat clone that has been going now for over a month, month and half or so. During the crazy hot spell we had up here in the NW awhile ago it got REAL hot, over 95 degrees for a few days. Thats bad, I know... what is it, fusel oils or something? Anywho, the beer when nuts and fermented HARD for a while. Now that the weather is back to normal, the Piraat has slowed to almost nothing.

Now here is the thing. Based on the initial gravity and the two malt additions, this stuff should be BOOZY, 10.5% when done I think. Don't know what that is in gravity speak, but my understanding is that with something that boozy you want to let that sit in the bottle for a couple months. But... it seems done. Should I test to see what it sits at now with the hydrometer and use that to base whether or not I put it in the bottle? I can happily wait awhile, I'm in no rush. -nick

Always test with a hydrometer to check if fermentation has finished. The same reading over several days usually indicates it is done, as well as the beer starting to clear.

Higher alcohol beers can take longer to condition and come into their own. IMO, if it's done fermenting, bottle it and let it carb and condition for a while-- taste them as they age and you'll see how a beer's flavor can change over time.

I think you're asking if bulk aging is better than bottle conditioning-- I believe that bottling it sooner rather than later is better to avoid the beer staling, as well as letting the beer condition after it's done the carbonation "mini" fermentation.

-Steve

Always test with a hydrometer to check if fermentation has finished. The same reading over several days usually indicates it is done, as well as the beer starting to clear.

Higher alcohol beers can take longer to condition and come into their own. IMO, if it's done fermenting, bottle it and let it carb and condition for a while-- taste them as they age and you'll see how a beer's flavor can change over time.

I think you're asking if bulk aging is better than bottle conditioning-- I believe that bottling it sooner rather than later is better to avoid the beer staling, as well as letting the beer condition after it's done the carbonation "mini" fermentation.

-Steve

I agree 100% with steve's answer.

Back