bottle haze: causes and cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
I persistently get a haze on bottles that needs cleaned after every use. I posted a picture below, but Im not sure how well it comes through. I dont know the cause, but my water content and mineral buildup has been suggested. Im kinda doubt that Im the only one around here that has the issue when we all have the same public water, but I dont have any other workable answer. This is starting to drive me nucking futz.

The haze does not rinse out with hot water and requires some form of cleaning. A bottle brush with a little work does the job, but I dont enjoy brushing out 50-60 bottles every couple of weeks.

I've tried bbrite cbrite and oxyclean. They work, but only sometime. About 50% of the time they clean perfect with a rinse afterwards. 25% of the time it doesnt work at all and the remaining 25% of the time I end up with a white scale that I need to scrub off. I think I have the scale issue is nailed down (using too hot water), but I cant figure why sometimes they come out clean and sometimes they come out with no change. I use 1 tablespoon of the b&cbrite/ gallon for 24-48 hours. With Oxy I use 1 scoop/gallon for 24-48 hours. I use a bucket and clean 12-13 12 oz or 8 22 oz at a time in 3-4 gals of solution.

Anyone else with this issue? Anyone have any suggestions for easy cleaning this haze crap off my bottles ? Any ideas for whats up with the b/cbrite and oxy or suggestions for how to make sure this crap cleans every time? Bad mix ratio? Too much time? Too little time?

bottle haze.JPG

The only time I have an issue similar to this is when my bottles chill in the fridge for a week or longer. The chill haze, yeast, sediment gets compacted so much to the bottom of the bottle that it can't be rinsed out with just hot water. My method is to just add about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of Oxyclean Free to each bottle and then fill each bottle about halfway with boiling water. Let the bottles sit over night and then rinse well with hot water the next day. It's worked well for me so far.

S
I persistently get a haze on bottles that needs cleaned after every use. I posted a picture below, but Im not sure how well it comes through. I dont know the cause, but my water content and mineral buildup has been suggested. Im kinda doubt that Im the only one around here that has the issue when we all have the same public water, but I dont have any other workable answer. This is starting to drive me nucking futz.

The haze does not rinse out with hot water and requires some form of cleaning. A bottle brush with a little work does the job, but I dont enjoy brushing out 50-60 bottles every couple of weeks.

I've tried bbrite cbrite and oxyclean. They work, but only sometime. About 50% of the time they clean perfect with a rinse afterwards. 25% of the time it doesnt work at all and the remaining 25% of the time I end up with a white scale that I need to scrub off. I think I have the scale issue is nailed down (using too hot water), but I cant figure why sometimes they come out clean and sometimes they come out with no change. I use 1 tablespoon of the b&cbrite/ gallon for 24-48 hours. With Oxy I use 1 scoop/gallon for 24-48 hours. I use a bucket and clean 12-13 12 oz or 8 22 oz at a time in 3-4 gals of solution.

Anyone else with this issue? Anyone have any suggestions for easy cleaning this haze crap off my bottles ? Any ideas for whats up with the b/cbrite and oxy or suggestions for how to make sure this crap cleans every time? Bad mix ratio? Too much time? Too little time?

View attachment 309562
Sorry for rebooting this did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Neither of the posters have been seen here in at least five years.

I would try rinsing the hazed-but-cleaned bottles with white vinegar...

Cheers!

Neither of the posters have been seen here in at least five years.

I would try rinsing the hazed-but-cleaned bottles with white vinegar...

Cheers!
Hey,
I'm literally clutching at straws. I've tried everything and it seems like every beer now, both a dubbel and a Tripel have now got a limescaley film inside the bottles. I think it's related to the no rinse santiser and the hard water but can't find any information on it.

It surely can't be beer stone after every batch of Westmalle I drink, rinsing the bottles with water, soaking the bottles with Oxicleaner. Rinsing them out again. Bottle brushing so they shine. And no rinse santise them just before bottling.

I'm at a loss

As I said, give white vinegar a try at cutting the haze.
The various "oxygen" cleaners very often leave that haze and white vinegar nearly always works..

Cheers!

As I said, give white vinegar a try at cutting the haze.
The various "oxygen" cleaners very often leave that haze and white vinegar nearly always works..

Cheers!
I've tried vinegar. I've tried citric acid. I've tried lemon juice. I've tried bleach. I've tried a strong no rinse acid solution but with these recent Belgians it come back noticeably and thick after each brew. Only a scrub with various sized bottle brushes will get it off after soaking in Oxicleaner solution.

I find not all bottles from the same brew will haze. When I come across one I just fill it with a weak bleach solution and leave for a day then empty and rinse well...problem solved.

I’ve had this happen when using oxy and hard water, especially if your SOAKING them. I would try using either spring or even better distilled water. If you rinse after pouring then you can just use powdered dish washer detergent to wash them and not use oxy.

Hey,
I think it's related to the no rinse santiser and the hard water

You ought to test this by using a few new bottles that you just washed out - no cleaners or sanitizers. Use these with your regular bottles and process and then see what they look after you've used them and rinsed them out compared to the regulars. If they're clear and the others aren't, then quit using that sanitizer.

I've been bottling for over 27 years. I do not use special cleaners or sanitizers. I rinse the bottles, put them through the dishwasher with other dishes, and store them for their next filling. That's it. I've never had haze or film, and I've never had an infected bottle of beer.

You ought to test this by using a few new bottles that you just washed out - no cleaners or sanitizers. Use these with your regular bottles and process and then see what they look after you've used them and rinsed them out compared to the regulars. If they're clear and the others aren't, then quit using that sanitizer.

I've been bottling for over 27 years. I do not use special cleaners or sanitizers. I rinse the bottles, put them through the dishwasher with other dishes, and store them for their next filling. That's it. I've never had haze or film, and I've never had an infected bottle of beer.
I think I like the idea of trying to eliminate the variables. Next time I will clean but not santise a few bottles and see how they look.

However, the weird limescaley stuff by nature doesn't seem to impact the flavour of the beer so far.

I think I like the idea of trying to eliminate the variables. Next time I will clean but not santise a few bottles and see how they look.

However, the weird limescaley stuff by nature doesn't seem to impact the flavour of the beer so far.
Since it dosen't seem to impact taste, you could just RDWHAHB.
But you could also try doing some with no sanitizer or cleaner, some with just cleaner, and some with just sanitizer. See which of the three ends up with haze. I think you should start with new bottles, so the good news is you should start the test by drinking at least a six pack of good commercial beer. :p I don't know where you live, but here in St. Louis Schaffly Pale Ale would work.

Since it dosen't seem to impact taste, you could just RDWHAHB.
But you could also try doing some with no sanitizer or cleaner, some with just cleaner, and some with just sanitizer. See which of the three ends up with haze. I think you should start with new bottles, so the good news is you should start the test by drinking at least a six pack of good commercial beer. :p I don't know where you live, but here in St. Louis Schaffly Pale Ale would work.
I live in the UK with huge stock of Belgian beer in my garage. Could start with some St Feuillien, St Bernardus, Gouden Carolus and La Chouffe 👌(although I do already have enough new clean bottles to use already I could use this as an excuse).

I've done a bit of digging around however and it could be 1) static yeast clinging to the sides of the bottles 2) where I've individual primed each bottle to 3.67g dextrose which in some bottles could have stuck to the sides as the bottles were still damp from santising.

Melton no rinse sanitiser. The stuff from the supermarket for kids milk bottles. Leave overnight and tip into the next bottle. I have 5 to 6 bottles at a time in rotation.

Melton no rinse sanitiser. The stuff from the supermarket for kids milk bottles. Leave overnight and tip into the next bottle. I have 5 to 6 bottles at a time in rotation.
Isn't Milton a strong Alkaline steriliser. In this case if it is my water causing beer stone or scale build up then it's unlikely to remove it as it needs to be acidic. However I may look at getting some despite being chlorine to use after cleaning for long term storage then before bottling rising and using Chemsan with bottled water go santise my bottles.

Back