Bottle conditioning ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumm72

Reaction score
It's been two weeks since i bottled my first brew ..(a Sam Adams summer ale clone) My ? is how long does it take for all of the bottles to reach the same flavors ?? I have managed to sample a couple,few,12, 24 lol, and they have been rather uneven in flavor .. None have been bad , just some better than others .. just wondering how long it takes for an even flavor ?

I used 12 oz. bottles if that makes a difference .. I would like to let the remainder of the batch set for a while . but its so darn tasty , I don't know if I have the will power to let it set ..lol

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up, and needed another 6 months to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

It never hurts to track the progress. Be aware though, you might discover that your beer is finished when it's about to reach its optimum :)

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Of "patience."

There is a simple solution to the problem of not being able to wait for your beer to condition...
You need to brew more beer!

More as is more than you can mess with by the time your 1st beer is ready.:rockin:

It never hurts to track the progress. Be aware though, you might discover that your beer is finished when it's about to reach its optimum :)
LOL well , I just finished drinking this "first batch" of beer .. And this quote is true for that batch . I would imagine the last 6 pack was as good as it was going to get because it tasted just like it was supposed to . But!! now its all gone :mad: .
But I have a hefe bottled now , and its pretty good for as early as it is .. (2 weeks again lol)

Giving the bottling bucket a good stir has made my batches consistent. The few I did not stir and just let the siphon mix in had uneven carbonation. One that had been oak chipped had inconstant oak flavor.

I've also found that after about 10 days in the bottle the best thing I can do to them is get them in the fridge to help the beer clear (more for the proteins then the yeast.) Clear beer taste better to me. That's one thing I hate about a kegs. Bottles clear faster than 5 gallon kegs, and you have to drink the least clear beer from the bottom. Bottle conditioning works faster for me.

Latest posts

Back