Bottle condition short vs long.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethmutt

Reaction score
I have a batch( my first) of English brown coming off its third week in bottles. I'm dying to try it, but want to make the best possible. So with that in mind is the time spent in bottles proportional to the quality of the beer? ie will it get better and better the longer it sits? If so, how long before it peaks and starts to go downhill?

Really depends on the style and gravity of the beer I would think. Some beers benefit greatly from aging, others are better fresh. I remember my first brew, a failed attempt at a Belgian pale ale, was decent after 2 weeks in the bottle. As time went on though the hop flavor diminished and it lost much of its character and anything that I had found enjoyable in it, although it did seem to become more smooth and easy drinking. Mind you this was months afterwards. As for your brew, just pop one (or two :p) open every once in a while and see for yourself. Kind of impossible to tell you exactly when the quality will peak and then start to decline as I have no idea on the recipe or brewing process involved and even then it would be a ballpark estimate. Most standard ales are drinkable after 2 weeks though, ie. they are sufficiently carbonated and flavors have begun to settle. In sum, don't sweat it, drink some brews over time and judge for yourself whether it benefited or not.

+1

In general hoppy beers should be consumed without to much aging since hop aroma decreases with time.
Beers with lots of alcohol can gain a lot from aging. But it's really very different with different styles and recipes.

Make it part of your process. Try the beer once iin a while a make notes. This way you can find the time where your beer reaches its peak.
When you've done this for some time you get a good understanding how aging will affect different kinds of beer.

I agree with these guys. Bottle conditioning takes a week or so longer that carbonating on average gravity beers ime. After 5 weeks or so,the hop flavors start to decline,& is most noticable at 7 or 8 weeks ime. But take note of this with your own brews to have a better working knowledge of conditioning in your own circumstances.

Latest posts

Back