Bottle capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodv

Reaction score
Hi, I am planing on making a crown bottle capper, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a capper head/die that releases the bottle after capping, so that the bottle ramains on the table and not get stuck in the head/die? 😊

I've never heard of anyone making these, DIY. I suppose you could buy one of these and take off the head and use that, but that kind of seems silly LOL.

1608988712635.png

Curious why you're building one - are you looking for a functionality that is different from the commercial ones?

A capper isn't that expensive. I used one like this for years before I switched to kegging.

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-LDC-...ords=beer+bottle+capper&qid=1609010258&sr=8-4
If you want to spend some more coin you can get a stand capper that allows you to adjust for the height of the bottle, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Professional...370&sprefix=beer+bottle+capper,aps,160&sr=8-3
The important thing is to get the geometry correct to grasp the glass bottle neck and crimp the cap without crushing the glass

Below is a simple diagram I made to give you an idea of how the release mechanism works in some of these higher end cappers (grifo):

1609014276816.png

This diagram shows a cutaway view of the ram and its internal release mechanism. This mechanism works by employing a spring loaded plunger that ejects the bottle from the crimping die as the ram is raise. This plunger uses a low strength magnet to hold that cap in place at the beginning of the capping operation. As the ram is lowered, the cap forces the plunger into the rams body, compressing the spring. As the ram is raise the spring presses the cap out of the die. It looks like the capping head that @day_trippr posted above contains this release mechanism. It would be a good starting point if you do not wish to fabricate one yourself (the capping head). May I ask why you wish to fabricate a capper over just purchasing one? I seems like the cost of materials and time would not make it worthwhile.

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I am trying to build a automated dual counterpressure filler and capper. So I am trying to get some of the parts I need 😊

I’m aware that this is an old thread but as a tool and die maker turned cnc machinist, this idea has my attention and I’d like to know how it went/is going.

…so how’d it work out?

Back