Bad Bottle Capper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFarmer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, first time making cider here and I’m still learning. My capper has what looks like a magnet, but doesn’t hold the caps or onto any other ferrous metal. However, a magnet will hold to it.

Also, the “magnet” doesn’t appear to be flush with the inside of the capper. It sticks out quite a bit. See attached images for how it dents the bottle caps. Is this normal? Should me caps look like this? Or should they be flat and not dented?

Attachments

• 021DC46F-F09A-447C-AA32-8E6E1E00DD9E.jpeg
    021DC46F-F09A-447C-AA32-8E6E1E00DD9E.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 0
  • C76CCC37-471E-4832-9E29-D60D6EA9001C.jpeg
    C76CCC37-471E-4832-9E29-D60D6EA9001C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi there! No need to apologize at all. People are here to ask questions, answer questions, and learn :)

I haven't seen a wing capper like that before and I'd guess it's an older one. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Regardless, you intuition is right here. From my experience with this type of capper the part in the middle is typically magnetic and large enough to cover the whole top of the cap. It helps hold it in place and sits on the top of the cap to press it down. I would expect it to be magnetic and to also fit across the entire top of the cap. I've used a bench capper from the 70s and it had the same setup I'm describing. Maybe this one has a part that should have been there and has since been broken off? That would be my guess. Maybe someone that has used this type of capper can contribute.

One huge question is does the capper actually work. I know it seems silly to ask but the part that pushes down on the cap is also shaped to crimp down the flared outside portion of the caps. If this capper is doing that fully then I would say roll with it for now until you can look into getting a new one. They aren't too expensive. If the caps aren't crimping down very well then it's definitely time to scrap this capper and get a new one ASAP. Bottles that aren't capped well are obviously going to cause you a ton of trouble. If it's pressing down hard in the very center of the cap I would think it might not be crimping well and it also might be taking you a lot of force to get the caps down. If so then it's also not worth the trouble. Shattering a bottle while trying to cap really, really sucks.

Here's a couple pics for you. The first two are the wing capper I have. Different style but that part in the middle is magnetic and the same size as the top of a cap. The housing around it is tapered to crimp down the caps effectively. The other picture is a well set cap on a bottle. I don't have a poor example but you can see how the edge of the cap is folded down almost flush to the side of the bottle. That's what you want all the way around the bottle. If it's not close like that then it might not stay on effectively. Compare to a commercial beer if you've got one.

Keep the questions coming. It's the best way to learn! :mug:

PXL_20230226_012830466.jpg

PXL_20230226_012811661.jpg

PXL_20230226_013851980.jpg

Womp womp. Killed me in like 1, 2, 3...17 words. Sorry OP :oops:

@mac_1103 I have never seen one like that. Is it older or just a brand we don't have in the midwest or something?

@YeastFarmer the part about the caps crimping well is still good advice. Check that to be sure you're getting the caps on right. Otherwise, it sounds like just get used to it.

I have the same capper as the OP. It is NOT magnetic and the dent is normal.
Weird. Mine's not just like the OP, but I just tested and it is very mildly magnetic. I never used it that way. I'd fill a bunch of bottles, put caps on each one, and then work through capping that round.

I have never seen one like that. Is it older or just a brand we don't have in the midwest or something?
Mine is probably at least 20 years old, but I think they still make that basic design. And since mine is at least 20 years old, I guess it's possible that it used to be magnetic but I don't have any recollection that it ever was.

I just tested and it is very mildly magnetic. I never used it that way. I'd fill a bunch of bottles, put caps on each one, and then work through capping that round
Yeah, that's always how I did it and always how I've seen others do it. The magnet on mine is not strong, but it's strong enough to pull the cap up off the bottle. I think that's how I figured out in the first place. I couldn't imagine putting the cap on the capper magnet and then capping...

Mine is probably at least 20 years old, but I think they still make that basic design. And since mine is at least 20 years old, I guess it's possible that it used to be magnetic but I don't have any recollection that it ever was
Thanks! It seems like they designed it that way and it works. No need for a magnet in my opinion. I'm now trying to think if I've ever seen a cap pressed in like that either. Just looks wrong to me :)

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Apparently it is supposed to look like that. I found a picture on the capper box and while the picture isn’t all that great, I can barely make out that the dents appear in the picture as well.

Much like you all, I’ve never seen them dented like that before. Not really a fan, but not enough to spend more money to get a new one at this point.

I had one like the OP and it may have been magnetic at some point but not when I got it. I hated it as it was my second winged capper and the first one had a magnet and I was used to that. I threw it out as I was used to loading the cap on the magnet and positioning the bottle with the other hand. It did make those dimples, how much force you use determines the depth. I also have a single lever stand model and it doesn't have a magnet either but it's all right.

Last edited:
Please forgive my ignorance, first time making cider here and I’m still learning. My capper has what looks like a magnet, but doesn’t hold the caps or onto any other ferrous metal. However, a magnet will hold to it.
I have had that same capper for a few decades. I love it! I have another one that is more plastic. The plastic one flexes a bit and it is hard to tell when the cap is fully seated. I have broken a few bottles with that one (well, using the same one my girlfriend has). The metal one has a solid "chunk" that occurs when the cap is sealed. A friend was clearing out some old equipment, and I grabbed the metal capper from the bin to replace my girlfriend's.

I have an old bench capper that does the same thing to the caps. I have never had a problem with the bottles I've capped. I think they might even seal better with the dent. It's not magnetic but I got it used and it may have been at some time.
My old bench capper makes a dent like that too, but not as pronounced. It doesn't hurt anything.

Not really a fan, but not enough to spend more money to get a new one at this point.
I've never been a fan of "wing-style" cappers as it's fairly easy to spit out the bottle sideways, happened to me a few times. I much prefer a bench-style capper. $20-40 depending where you get it.
Yeah, I'm with Canuck on that one. Once you do decide to spend more money then a bench capper is a really nice upgrade. It doesn't cost all that much more and when you consider how many bottles you'll run through it the cost seems even more reasonable. They cost twice as much but they are about 20x easier to use.

I've never been a fan of "wing-style" cappers as it's fairly easy to spit out the bottle sideways, happened to me a few times. I much prefer a bench-style capper. $20-40 depending where you get it.
I'm still using the wing style capper that came with my original homebrewing kit I bought back in 1989.

No telling how many bottles it's been used on. In all honesty I have broken some bottles with it but I don't think more than five. It's all metal. Not one of the cheap red plastic things they make now.

I have had 2 wing cappers, both failed after some time. Bought me a bench capper, works like a charm since day one. Multiple years now.

Best advice I can give is throw the wing capper into the corner of the attic and buy yourself a bench capper. Even if you have no bench to screw it onto. Thank me later.

I'm still using the wing style capper that came with my original homebrewing kit I bought back in 1989.

No telling how many bottles it's been used on. In all honesty I have broken some bottles with it but I don't think more than five. It's all metal. Not one of the cheap red plastic things they make now.

Had two wing cappers. Broke bottles, bottles slipped, etc. Got a bench capper (no bench needed as someone else mentioned), haven't slipped/broke a bottle since.

Capper came with the first kit I was given. Never broke a bottle. Never slipped one out the side. There are some bottle shapes that it just doesn't work on, and yeah bench cappers are easier, but I've really never had a problem with it and haven't seen any real compelling reason to upgrade.

I much prefer a bench-style capper. $20-40 depending where you get it.
I can't count the number of vintage bench cappers I've seen at tag sales for only a couple of bucks. I bought one years ago and it works like a charm (with the circle dent on the top).

Capper came with the first kit I was given. Never broke a bottle. Never slipped one out the side. There are some bottle shapes that it just doesn't work on, and yeah bench cappers are easier, but I've really never had a problem with it and haven't seen any real compelling reason to upgrade.
Wouldn't be the first thing that was produced with quality and durability in mind back in the days. Being replaced with nowadays focus on cheap production and quick self destruction so that it will need to be bought again in the foreseeable future.

I have that same capper as op. Like others said, all my caps look like that with the dent in the middle. I have broken the tops off a couple bottles over a few years while capping or had the top of a bottle break off later when opening the beer. So I’m guessing this kind of capper must put more stress on the neck when capping.

I never had this problem, but loved the upgrade to a bench capper regardless.

Latest posts

Back