Boss, Boss, - The Foam, the foam.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauai_Kahuna

Reaction score
For some reason up until now I have have always had just a little foam doing my 24 hour SNA.
Tonight was my first experience with "The Foam".
Doing my initial de-gassing I got a little, after adding the FermK and DAP, I got a little foam, then it just started to grow, and grow.
I have heard about it, and always thought it over blown, but it does kind of freak you out when it actually happens.
So I think I finally have a well started, SNA batch going.
-- Getting a little spoiled with all the great help here. Thanks to all.

Basic, cheap 15 lbs of light amber honey, most likely imported from China via Australia, but the final product still taste OK.
Some times it is on sale for 8-9 dollars here which is around 1/4 the normal price or less, when I see it I try to pick up 20 to 30 lbs.
I'm hoping I can find something really nice to finish it up with.

RE:
Look! I'm a Junior Member!
--
And I'm labelled a Senior Member, now that is surreal.

OK, missed checking yesterday, real life still gets in my way. Today I hit my mark for the third SNA, so far so good. From a SG 1.101 to 1.050.
Comparing my progress to some of the charts from hightest FAQ, I'm still on the fat tail of primary fermentation with six days to the half point.
Now while that my describe my waist line, I don't want it mimic my brewing time-lines.

I did not make a starter, but I used two packs of Montrachet Red Star Yeast, rehydrated at 108F water.
It was blooming well when I pitched.
I aerated via pouring and stirring, OK; but not like I used an oxygen stone or anything but it seemed OK.

I started off with the fridge temperature at 62F, once fermentation took off I upped it to 65F so the must is around 70F, and now that it is slowing down I set it to 68F. (The ale also in the fridge has dropped the krausen so I think the temp is now somewhat stable).

All in all I'm happy with how it's going, I'm just wondering what I could do better.

Somehow I never worry about about a beer, or even a cider. But with the time invested in a mead, I really want do everything I can to have a fantastic final product two or years from now.

OK, maybe it is time to have a homebrew.........

Basic, cheap 15 lbs of light amber honey, most likely imported from China via Australia, but the final product still taste OK.
Some times it is on sale for 8-9 dollars here which is around 1/4 the normal price or less, when I see it I try to pick up 20 to 30 lbs.
I'm hoping I can find something really nice to finish it up with.
I also believe that when you can get it cheap i.e. "cheapo supermarket honey", then why not get it there and then.

Of course, it's not going to ever make an award winning mead, however carefully it's managed, but I've bought cheap blended honey that's turned out to be "Ok" for drinking and excellent for topping up batches that have been made from expensive honey etc

So good on yer for getting something so cheap.

The only bit I try and avoid, is when the honey is blended and has an australian connection, because invariably, it will have some Eucalyptus honey in it. Which I don't like, whereas Ken explains about the "Listerine" taste of too much alcohol in his book, to me Eucalyptus produces a "cough linctus" sort of taste, that can't be removed/eradicated by ageing.....

Just my 2 cents worth....

I was most likely too cynical in my first posting.
It's actually Suebee light amber honey from Sioux City Iowa. The bottle is labelled "Product of USA" so hopefully it's an OK blend. I know it does taste good, but I don't think it will be an award winner either.
Just looking for a nice house mead that will be great in a year or more.

It's actually Suebee light amber honey from Sioux City Iowa. The bottle is labelled "Product of USA" so hopefully it's an OK blend. I know it does taste good, but I don't think it will be an award winner either.

I'd think you could get a sweet deal on some macadamia honey there, or maybe pineapple honey? Hhhmmmm, now that sounds interesting: medium show mead made with pineapple honey...

I'm doing the same. Suebee from Costco, and liquid sweetmead yeast. I don't want to win awards, I want drinkable mead.
I am unrefined; when I go to wine tastings usually the award winners that cost a butload of money are some of the worst tasting wines to me.

-OCD

Just to follow up on some of the these old mixes.
Brought a few bottles of this to a BBQ, and tasting another tonight.
The flavor is strong, almost heavy. It taste really great, but I don't think it was the "light refreshing" mead I was shooting for to introduce newbies to mead. In general I think going over 9% ABV really takes it out of that mark now days.
All in all, ageing it mellowed it out a little, but even more flavors pop out, though in any case I like it. :mug:

Just to follow up on some of the these old mixes.
Brought a few bottles of this to a BBQ, and tasting another tonight.
The flavor is strong, almost heavy. It taste really great, but I don't think it was the "light refreshing" mead I was shooting for to introduce newbies to mead. In general I think going over 9% ABV really takes it out of that mark now days.
All in all, ageing it mellowed it out a little, but even more flavors pop out, though in any case I like it. :mug:

I am no expert but at what temperature do you ferment your honey? I suspect that much over 70F will create a problem.

Back