Bootleg Biology NEEPAH...in an American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
hi all-
so i received my NEEPAH packets a few weeks back and i farmed some of the yeast- so i want to put this extra yeast to good use. I wrote up a recipe for a stout and i'm thinking of using NEEPAH in it. has anyone done this? Any results anyone cares to share? would love to get some feedback on it. recipe below:

12# 2-Row
3# Munich
1# Black Patent
.5# Caramel 60L

Mash @ 156 60 min

.5oz CTZ @ 60min
1oz Cascade Flameout
1oz Chinook Flameout

Bootleg Biology NEEPAH Yeast

also looking for any recommendations for water profiles for stouts. it's the first time i've brewed one.

cheers!

You're mashing pretty high. This yeast strain will attenuate, but not if you don't give it enough fermentable sugars. US01 you could probably get away with mashing that high, but not neepah. I would mash at 152-153 max.

As far as your grain bill goes, I'm a bigger fan of maris otter for stouts, or at least 1:1 mix of maris otter and 2-row for base grains. Also, why munich? I'd axe the munich, and add .5 lb of chocolate malt. Typically chocolate and crystal additions can/should be roughly equal to each other.

As far as water profile, shoot for something like this:
Ca - 70
Na - 18
Sulfate - 30
Chloride - 51
Bicarbonate - ~200

Let some other people chime in too.

thanks for the feedback! i ran the recipe as is and i'll report back on how it goes. definitely taking youre feedback and putting it to the test after this batch is done. cheers!!

Latest posts

Back