Boosting with brown sugar in secondary; who does it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
My last 3 batches I have added about 1.3 (packed) cups of organic brown sugar to the secondary. I boiled the sugar in the water I used to top off my secondary after transferring from primary.

I was real pleased with the flavor results of the first 2 (one AAPA, and a dry hopped munich dunkel ale, and I just yesterday did it again with an "angry Irish Red Ale."

I actually got pretty violent fermentation last night, with krausen in the airlock. I will have to transfer to tertiary fermenter in about a week or two.

I wouldn't do it on a pilsener or a cream ale or whatnot, but with the darker, maltier beers I really like the results.

Anyone else do this?

No, although I have added brown sugar late in the primary fermentation for a barleywine, just to reduce initial osmodic pressure.

When you say boosting i am guessing you are refering to the ABV, right? I cant think of any other reason to do this. Ive added a bit of fermentables in the secondary to push O2 out of the carboy headspace cause im paranoid, but no, i just shoot for my FG at the boil.

Back