Bonus time from work : what to buy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

trying to see if i'm missing anything that would benefit me that you guys could think of.

current equipment list
- 3 8 gallon pots with valves (a little small, but works for me for the moment)
- 52qt mash tun
- about a billion thermometers
- immersion chiller
- stir plate/flask
- mash paddle
- grain mill with drill
- keezer with 2 perlck taps
- a few better bottles and carboys
- fermentation fridge

the few things i'm planning on are
- 2 new propane burners (prolly the SQ14s)
- get some wood for a "tiered brew table"
- water filter (buying water is a PITA)
- refractometer

can anyone else think of anything that helped them tons that i might be missing out on?
pumps scare me, and i like how gravity works :)

i'd suggest a pump. I love my chugger. they really aren't scary. I use a cheap GFCI plug thing that works great, was 12 bucks. then you could go plate chiller and those made a HUGE difference in my brewing as far as time and efficiency. plus you could turn your immersion chiller as a cool and fancy HERMS :)

but, since you are scared :) definitely build a 3 tier. lift and dump is dangerous.

refractometers are pretty nice to have.

I'd also consider selling one or 2 of your 8 gal pots and buy a 15. they are only like 125. makes like a whole lot nicer not having to worry about boil overs :)

My next purchase will be a precision hydrometer. .900 - 1.030 :) and probably more kegs

Some ideas
-Pump if you want to brew horizontal.
-Submersible pump for chiller (recycle water into ice bucket)
-plate or counter flow chiller
-pH meter
-water treatment chemicals
-hydrometer definitely
-extra propane tank (saved my last batch)
-precision scale

Refractometer is convenient on brew day. A pH meter is nice if you are at all curious to play with water chemistry.

Otherwise, I think a larger kettle is ALWAYS nice, like fletchsj says.

I still do gravity. Haven't rigged up my pump yet. That will be a spring/summer thing when I build my new electric brew rig. I don't have a problem using gravity. The only reason I got one is to recirc. the mash and chill, which is impossible with gravity.

Pump isn't that big of a deal if you set it up so it doesn't suck air it's great.

What would you use a water filter for?

Sweet, thanks for the insight, gents'!

i'm still mixed about the pump, i'd like it, but at the same time, i have no need for it currently.

The water filter i need so i can filter the ground water coming into my house, it tastes pretty aweful and gives a crap ton of off flavors unfortunately :(.
i'm having to get water from the store, which adds a good $10 to the brew day, which i could spend like $50 on a filter and not worry about it for a few years.
i could always get the 5 gallon bottles and just fill those up for like $5, but then again, i'd rather have a filter :)

Well in that case, get a filter... Or move :) your minutes away from the best brewing water in the country.

Just picked up a kab4 burner and a refractometer, but won't be able to brew for a few weeks. Looking at larger brew kettles too. But this may be good for now :)

Ah! Good call, gf wants a barleywine soon. So that would come in handy indeed

Back