bone head move with us05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntchef

Reaction score
So I brewed and chilled as normal. Pitched at 70 and closed up new fermenting chamber. Came back and temp probe was at 83! Opened chamber to let heat out. Heater had not fired in that time. Either my floating thermo was way off, or my probe is. I have a secondary temp gauge in the chamber now. Chamber still open. Has anyone survived this? What to look for moving forward? 2 years in first major snafu.
Eric

Normally I have yeast activity by now, wait and see?

Discovered the temp weirdness about 1 hour after pitch. I pitched 1 pack us05 dry and 1 pack of us05 that I had in 3 litre starter. I have always hedged my bet by pitching this way. I got the reading from the secondary thermometer in chamber after leaving open and it read 70 ambient. The probe from the inkbird that I had taped to the side of the fermenter under a pieces of foam read 80. I have my fingers crossed and if fermentation starts I will ride it out. Any other thoughts?
Eric

I doubt that that temp change would have stopped 05 from starting. If you get it down to lower temp for bulk of fermentation, beer should be should be fine also, assuming you did everything else OK. Perhaps relax and have a brew, see if it is working tomorrow.

11gallons. I did relax and have a home brew, lol. I will let you know how it goes. Will check in on the brew haus out the door for work this a.m.
Eric

So we are several days in and no airlock activity.
1. my airlock contraption could have a leak, thus no activity
2. my yeast is dead.
Plan is to open the fermenter on Saturday and take a hydrometer reading to see what's up.
If gravity has not changed is there a rescue?
thanx in advance
Eric

My bet is a leak. Dry yeast is extremely resilient. Even at 80*F.

Thank the Lord it is going to be beer! I opened the fermenter to see what was up and saw a nice krausen, whoo hoo! Shut the lid, closed the chamber, re attached the blow off, and I got bubbles.

Bone head move? Yes.
Ruined batch? No.
Quality of un repeatable mistake? Let you know when I know.

Eric

So I kegged this up yesterday. Beer finished fine at 7% which is average for this recipe. Will keep you posted on flavor effects of my mishap,
Eric

Back