Another FN Dumb Ass Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Been brewing for about 5 years now and I still make bone headed mistakes. Guess its due to lack of concentration or something.

Anyway, brewed Bells Two Hearted Clone Saturday using S04. This yeast has worked pretty fast for me. I used my CUSS chiller with an ice bath to get temps down to 65 degrees. Wanted to try fermenting under pressure so only option at the time was to use a spare keg. So I had just received a floating dip tube that I wanted to try so hooked it up, sanitized the keg and dumped transferred my wort to the keg.

Sealed it up and into the ferm chamber. Around 1 I pitched a rehydrated pack of S04. Later that evening fermentation started.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Arrived home from work and no activity. I knew it wasn't finished but wanted to check the gravity so I can switch to a spunding valve. Figured easiest way was to hook up my picnic tap. For some reason it would not connect to the liquid post. Thought maybe it had something to do with the floating dip tube or poppet. So replaced the poppet tried again and still would not seat correctly. By this time, I'm getting frustrated. So I remove the post and unhook the floating dip tube thinking for some reason it had something to do with the issue I was having. I replaced the floating tube with a regular sanitized dip tube and still could not get the coupler to seat correctly.

Keep in mind the keg has 10 psi of pressure. When I pulled off the coupler, wort squirted all of my FN office. Walls, ceiling, keezer, ferm chamber, floor, computer. I think most of my office was covered.

So I pour a pint, sit back and take a deep breathe. Doesn't really help but at least I am drinking which I vowed not to do this week until Friday.

Anyway, I'm fed up with this crap so I sanitize my SSBT fermenter and dump the contents from the keg to the SSBT. At this point I'm hoping no infection or oxidation.

Fermentation kicked back up a few moments later so I'm hoping that helps ward off the nasties.

I was able to check the gravity which was 1.021 so at that point I would have switched to a spunding valve. Oh well can't do that now.

On the bright side I ordered a Fermzilla end of last week and it was supposed to arrive Wednesday. Well during my frustration FedEx shows up with the fermenter. Hoping to maybe brew Saturday but may have to push it back to next weekend due to space and time constraints.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Cheers!!

Attachments

• fermzilla.jpg
    fermzilla.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 47
Pics or it didn't happen...
Yea, in being so pissed off, I forgot to take pictures. It's all cleaned up now but I should have taken pictures. And I sure wish it didn't happen. Oh well. All good. Feel much better now that I've had a couple pints and an hour to cool down.

Latest posts

Back