Boiling 12 gallons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
...takes a lot longer than 5 gallons. My first shipment of grain & hops got lost by UPS, so the HBS resent. I got the second shipment, then the lost package came up. Those nice folks let me keep both of them! Hooray!

So, I figured I'd just do 10 gallons (Victory Hop Devil clone).

Man, it took about an hour and a half to bring to boil 12 gallons. I need a new burner :) Any recommendations? I'm not positive, but I think mine is only 55K BTUs.

So this post is a vent, a "hooray I got extra ingredients" and a question, all rolled into one. Magic.

Still boiling...lemme go see how things are going...

Wow, You can't get much better than that. Never tried to boil 12 gallons before, so no help there . I will be brewing tomarrow, hope this weather holds out.

:rockin:

B000IEQVJC.01-A1V1Z4BJNVFJUK._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41168043_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put this one together yesterday and it's sweet. 210,000 BTU. $65.00 and no shipping from Amazon.

Wow. Nice. Considering I have a $200 Amazon credit at my disposal, I think I've just bought myself a Christmas present.

Couple questions:

They mention it's for use with 20# LP tanks... I assume thats the standard?

I've got a converted keg as a brew kettle... anyone have any experience using one of those on this burner?

Yes, 20# is the standard.

I used mine with a converted keg this weekend. You have maybe a half inch of extra room all the way around, maybe a quarter-inch. It fits, it's stable, but if you knock into it I could see the keggle toppling over. So, I'm going to get my father to weld on a some little pieces to keep the keg from moving around.

OK cool... whenever I see something like, "uses 20# LP tanks", it makes me think its not the standard.

That's good news about the keggle. The current burner I use, the keg fits super-snug. It's nice and stable, but can be a pain to get on and off sometimes.

Do you have any rough estimates of bringing water to boil? My little burner took over an hour to bring 12+ gallons of 152F water to boil. It was sad. Maybe I had it turned too low or something...

r u doing all grain? if so as soon as i get about 2 inches of wort in my kettle from the sparge i put some flame to it. by the time i'm up to 15 gallons run off - it's at a good rolling boil.

bobbyc said:
So, I figured I'd just do 10 gallons (Victory Hop Devil clone).

I'm an extract brewer, and from your volume I'm assuming you're all-grain, but what is your recipe? Victory HopDevil is the only IPA I've ever found a liking for. I would say it's because they're in general too bitter, but drinking English IPAs and not finding them bitter enough belies that. I think it's just that HopDevil seems to have a good balance with the maltiness and the hoppiness.

I'm making an IPA at the moment, but I don't know if I'll like it or not.

I use the same burner you have and I did a double kit in my keggle. It only took about 45 minutes to get it to boil. Still, I also ordered the banjo burner and it arrives tomorrow SWEET. Brewing this weekend after I take the boys to breakfast with Santa.

I Also boil in a Converted keg which i get a ton of milage out of.
First it heats my mash water quite rapidly.
During my mash I get 10 gal. of sparge water ready and put in buckets or cooler 5 min. before end of mash.
Right after I get the first runnings into my now empty keg, I sparge the mash with the water and start the flame for a good head start. By the time my sparge is done I almost boiling.

So much time brewing is wasted waiting for water to heat. From flame on to pitching, I can brew 10 gal. in 3:45 min. by myself. Geat a good burner, A Good cold home brew and let the flames go!

You don't happen to have access to natural gas, do you?

My burner (see Mega Burner in my signature) is 200,000 BTUs, and I never have to worry about running out of propane.

Sadly, I haven't seen a propane version, and this thing would be SCARY (as in hurt yourself) if you tried it on propane.

Wow Yuri, that thing is quite frightening.

Well, my girlfriend just bought me the aforementioned 210K burner for Christmas! I can't wait to fire this puppy up. I don't think I'll be brewing on my wooden deck anymore, though :) Gonna have to relocate to the driveway it seems...

Hey, back to that burner from Amazon... I just ordered one, impulsively and stupidly (because the burner I have now works fine).

I know a 20 gal. tank is the "standard" but will a 5 gal. tank work? I called my propane people and damn near choked at the cost of a 20....

I suppose I could run it off my house propane (a 250 galon tank) but I assume I'd have to fit the burner with its own regulator... Anyway, anyone tried it with a 5 gal. tank?

Thanks, p

Perry: It's a 20 pound tank, standard size as fits under a bbq.

-Aaron

Thanks, Aaron. You're right, that tank works great.

For what it's worth, the thing arrived last night, and this morning I hooked it up and brought 12 gallons of ice-water (my hose was frozen and blasted out all the little chunks) to a serious rolling boil in fifty-one minutes. Prettty impressive, given that the breeze was blowing. Heating a 160 degree wort will be a snap. Tomorrow is ten gallon day!

65 bucks and no shipping... that's pretty impressive, too.

Thanks to whomever put that link up there.

p

Latest posts

Back