Boil time with late addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
So when I add extract late in the boil, the boiling stops because the extract is cold compared to the boiling wort. For example, today I added about 8lb of LME to the boiling wort with 15 min left, it didn't start boiling again until 2 min left. So I went ahead and boiled it for another couple minutes just in case.

When I add the late extract should I stop the timer until it starts boiling again?

Yes, stop and then start again once the boil returns:)

How are IBU and hop utilization affected by the stalled boil? My worry is that even when the boil has stopped, hop utilization continues. So if I stop the timer to wait for the boil to return would I end up with a higher IBU than expected?

It shouldn't take that long to return to a boil to have any consequence

Sent from the Commune

How are IBU and hop utilization affected by the stalled boil? My worry is that even when the boil has stopped, hop utilization continues. So if I stop the timer to wait for the boil to return would I end up with a higher IBU than expected?

You are correct here.

The hops in your hot wort will continue to isomerize the alpha acids even if you are below boiling temps. This will continue to create bitterness in your wort despite the lack of visible boil. It will make a noticeable difference in bitterness of your final product if you are tacking on another 20+ minutes to the process waiting for your boil to return.

Short answer: Do not stop the timer.

Just as a point there isn't that much different in utilization at 60mins vs. 90 mins. I just took one of my recipes that had 30 IBUs and bumped the 60 minute charge to 90 and it increased the IBU's by 1. So, I doubt a minute or two or even 5 minutes at 200 degrees instead of 212 degrees is going to have an impact on the quality of the beer. I think I've read on here that most of us humans can't really taste the difference between two beers that have < 5 IBU difference. My Point: Your concern is a non-issue.

As a point to OP a lot of extract brewers turn off the heat when they add extract to keep it from scorching on the bottom of the pot, and they don't reapply flame until it is dissolved. I've never seen anyone mention increasing boil time to make up for time off the heat.

This another reason why some of us do late additions at flame out. The beer is still boiling hot,& the LME should've been taken out that morning with the hops & yeast to come up to room temp by afternoon brew time anyway. Or soak it in hot water to thin it out,not to mentio come up in temp. Since pasteurization happens about 160F in seconds,& the wort at flame out is still boiling hot,just stir it in quickly & completely. Then cover & allow to steep while getting the wort chilling methode you use ready. Works just fine for me.

Just as a point there isn't that much different in utilization at 60mins vs. 90 mins. I just took one of my recipes that had 30 IBUs and bumped the 60 minute charge to 90 and it increased the IBU's by 1. So, I doubt a minute or two or even 5 minutes at 200 degrees instead of 212 degrees is going to have an impact on the quality of the beer. I think I've read on here that most of us humans can't really taste the difference between two beers that have < 5 IBU difference. My Point: Your concern is a non-issue.

I supposed I would be more worried about the flavor hops that are usually added at 20-30 mins remaining. If I need to add another 20 minutes to the boil due to the late extract addition, then the flavoring hops would basically turn into bittering hops.

This another reason why some of us do late additions at flame out. The beer is still boiling hot,& the LME should've been taken out that morning with the hops & yeast to come up to room temp by afternoon brew time anyway. Or soak it in hot water to thin it out,not to mentio come up in temp. Since pasteurization happens about 160F in seconds,& the wort at flame out is still boiling hot,just stir it in quickly & completely. Then cover & allow to steep while getting the wort chilling methode you use ready. Works just fine for me.

I was under the impression that 10-15 minutes of boil was required to fully sanitize the extract. Sounds like this isn't the case?

I was under the impression that 10-15 minutes of boil was required to fully sanitize the extract. Sounds like this isn't the case?

No. I even pasteurize milk at 160 for 30 seconds. Your extract, being very high in sugar, shouldn't have any bacteria or other things growing in it. But adding it at flame out ensures a length of time at +200 degrees to make sure it's sanitized.

I supposed I would be more worried about the flavor hops that are usually added at 20-30 mins remaining. If I need to add another 20 minutes to the boil due to the late extract addition, then the flavoring hops would basically turn into bittering hops.

No. I even pasteurize milk at 160 for 30 seconds. Your extract, being very high in sugar, shouldn't have any bacteria or other things growing in it. But adding it at flame out ensures a length of time at +200 degrees to make sure it's sanitized.
Yup & yup. It takes some 30 minutes or so @ 140-142F,but mere seconds at 160F. So being boiling hot still @ flame out,you're covered. Especially for the time it takes to get ready for the wort chill. Covered,of course.:mug:

Ok cool. And I preheat my extract in the container in a pot of hot water on the stove. I usually get it up to ~130F before I add it to the boiling wort.

Back