Bock without the lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
I know yeast is everything to some beers but there is no way I can lager a beer and really want to make an amber bock. Any other cheater types of ale yeast I could use? Maybe US-05?

wlp 029 kolsch, will get somewhat near, but you'll need temp control for that as well, you'd wanna ferment it at 60 or a touch lower. US05 wouldn't be too bad, just because it's quite neutral, but it wont give you that malty crispness you would get from a lager yeast.

i can do 60*F and that's about as low as I could go. Could I bump up the nonfermentables in the beer to maintain some maltiness with US-05.

You can have maltiness with US-05, it just wont be quite the same as with lager yeast, if you're too concerned, maybe add 4oz of aromatic. I would probably just make it as is the first time with the us-05, if it comes out not quite malty enough, add some aromatic, or melanoiden malt next time!

If you can do 60, use the kolsch yeast, it wont let you down. It's what I use when I want to make a "lager" without the cooler temp. Although the beer will still be improved by actually lagering it after fermentation.

I know yeast is everything to some beers but there is no way I can lager a beer and really want to make an amber bock. Any other cheater types of ale yeast I could use? Maybe US-05?

You are in Michigan. Do you have a basement? If so, wait until January (when bocks are traditionally brewed anyway) and ferment on your basement floor. Otherwise you can try to use a cheater ale yeast if you want. Just don't call it a bock, cause it won't be.

Latest posts

Back