BMC will not, but Craft Brewers should list their ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
BMC will not, but Craft Brewers should list their ingredients on their products.

Beer and Spirits are the only food that is not required to list their ingredients. Beer is not regulated by the FDA, it is regulated by the Treasury Dept.

Craft brewers can and should list theirs.

"Water, grain, yeast, hops, and nothing more."

It's that nothing more part that is important, with that statement you cant hide coloring, anti-freeze, MSG, etc...

(ps. Fruit beer drinkers can add natural fruit to the list, but I don't recommend it) ;)

Agreed, this type of regulation would help craft brewers i feel. Its working in the food industry.

I think the reason that BMC doesn't mention their ingredients is because there are an alarming number of ingredients being used in addition to the expected water, barley, corn, rice, yeast, and traces of hops.

I read somewhere once that one of the BMC beers uses a flavoring that mimics the taste of formaldehyde because that flavor was once imparted into the beer long ago via their method of making the cans. So once they stopped using formaldehyde they developed a flavoring additive to imitate the flavor so customers wouldn't notice a change. True or myth? I'm not sure.

After the recent Foodbabe fiasco, BMC (...B anyway) did list their ingredients.

But it is not on their products:

Bud Light Platinum
12 fl oz

Bud Light Platinum has reinvented the category of light beer. Within each cobalt blue bottle lies a bold formula that's triple filtered with a smooth finish to create its top shelf taste. It's the first of its kind, and the only beer worthy of the name Bud Light Platinum.

Ingredients: Water; Barley Malt; Dextrose Syrup; Rice; Hop Extract; Caramelized Sugar Syrup; Yeast.

- See more at: http://www.tapintoyourbeer.com/index.cfm?id=44#sthash.FQP64N7h.dpuf

I think the reason that BMC doesn't mention their ingredients is because there are an alarming number of ingredients being used in addition to the expected water, barley, corn, rice, yeast, and traces of hops.
I think consumers might have trouble understanding gelatin, isinglass, whirlflock, irish moss, calcium chloride in the HB or craft world too.

My take on all this is if craft beers want to list their ingredients, I don't know of a reason they can't.

I read somewhere once that one of the BMC beers uses a flavoring that mimics the taste of formaldehyde because that flavor was once imparted into the beer long ago via their method of making the cans. So once they stopped using formaldehyde they developed a flavoring additive to imitate the flavor so customers wouldn't notice a change. True or myth? I'm not sure.

Hard to say. We've all read various myths about BMC, most of which make me skeptical.

With that said, I suck at a lot of things, but I have a really sensitive palate and can really pick out flavors (which is handy, since I work in wine). I opened up a can of Keystone (I think it was... before I knew better) years ago, and the smell of formaldehyde was obvious. I can't stand the thought of that beer since.

We had a similar discussion at a Homebrew club meeting last year.

I said that I felt that Brewers and craft beers should list their recipes right on their labels (IE 60% this malt, 40% this malt, XX IBUs of XYZ hops).

Some were opposed to it as they felt the recipe was proprietary. I pointed out a few things, first in my experience, recipe hoarders a generally one trick ponies. Most people (Brewers) that have the knowledge to create recipes and craft tasty beverages are usually bursting at the seams to tell anyone who will listen.

Secondly, you cannot copyright a recipe. You can trademark the name that goes along with that recipe, but cannot claims exclusive rights to proportions of ingredients.

Lastly, I compared it to the finest steak, at the best chop house, prepared by the world's greatest chef. If they handed over raw hunk of beef, and the recipe when you left, how many could replicate that steak exactly? There would only be a small subset of people who would be willing to try, and only a small % of those who could even get close.

I think most Brewers would take it as an homage if people were to brew their recipe, provided they were credited.

I don't think because homebrewers brew clones of heady topper or Pliny or arrogant bastard that these "large" breweries are i. Any way concerned that we will put them out of business.

Couldn't disagree more with the idea that beer should only include these ingredients. One of the great things about the craft beer industry is that it has increased the diversity of flavors and beer styles available an much / most of this comes from expanding the ingredients list.

Sugar has had its place in brewing for hundreds of years and many Belgian styles and some British ones wouldn't exist as they are without its use.

Spices have their place; a Belgian Wit wouldn't exist without Coriander seeds and orange peel.
Fruit beers, whatever you opinions have their place; beer is better off with real traditional Belgian Kreiks and the new Citrus IPAs.

Chocolate, coffee, coconut and on and on all can make contribution to beer.
Beyond yeasts many historical and emerging sour and wild styles include bacteria innoculations, too.

Most home brewers don't adhere to the Rheinheitsgebot -use Irish Moss or Whirfloc in the boil kettle? -You're adding seawead you chemical-loving bastards! Use any fermentation finings like Gelatin? -Cow hooves in beer - cow murdering bastard! Isinglass? -fish swim bladers - you must really hate animals!

I'm not necessarily against labeling, but definitely against the idea that beer should just be "water, malt, hops, yeast".
Let's not feed the Foodbabe trolls.

I think consumers might have trouble understanding gelatin, isinglass, whirlflock, irish moss, calcium chloride in the HB or craft world too.

My take on all this is if craft beers want to list their ingredients, I don't know of a reason they can't

Good point. I seem to remember about a year or so ago, reading an article about Brewers using fish bladders in beer , and lambasting them for it, without really knowing why, or how it was used in the brewing process.

It was one of those food babe type hatchet jobs of "investigative reporting"

I said that I felt that Brewers and craft beers should list their recipes right on their labels (IE 60% this malt, 40% this malt, XX IBUs of XYZ hops).

Some were opposed to it as they felt the recipe was proprietary.

Secondly, you cannot copyright a recipe.

Yep recipes are proprietary; brewers spend a lot of time investment perfecting their recipes. I could see listing out the ingredients but certainly not amounts.

-Exactly you can't copyright a recipe so your only protection is just to not give it to people in the first place.

Especially in an increasingly crowded marketplace where your local competitors buy the same grains and have the same water as you and have a good chance of being able to clone a recipe very closely.

The market is getting oversaturated in some parts of the country and we're moving from collaborative to competitive very quickly. There will be less and less sharing of recipe details by brewers. You can't ask someone in a highly competitive market to just give up their recipes like that.

Adam

Yep recipes are proprietary; brewers spend a lot of time investment perfecting their recipes. I could see listing out the ingredients but certainly not amounts.
there are countless threads in the recipes section that start out something like " I contacted Xx. Brewer I out their beer and here is the % they gave me. Certainly not every brewer, but precedence is there.

-Exactly you can't copyright a recipe so your only protection is just to not give it to people in the first place.

there are plenty of generic foods at "low cost"
Stores that use the exact same recipes of the "big boys". It's all about marketing.

Especially in an increasingly crowded marketplace where your local competitors buy the same grains and have the same water as you and have a good chance of being able to clone a recipe very closely.

there is no larger scale brewer in the us that does not treat their water, you simply would not be able to achieve repeatable results. Water composition changes by season in most parts of the county, and some locations source water from different locations throughout the year. Not to mention that the piping to one location may not contain the same sediment and mineral deposits as a location in proximity.

The market is getting oversaturated in some parts of the country and we're moving from collaborative to competitive very quickly. There will be less and less sharing of recipe details by brewers. You can't ask someone in a highly competitive market to just give up their recipes like that.

pre prohibition it was not at all uncommon to have one, or more breweries per town/city/region. Without having the exact numbers in front of me I would hazard a guess that we have yet to achieve the numbers that were present before prohibition.

Adam

The fact of the matter is that you could have 2 seperate Brewers in the same place using the same ingredients and have 2 seperate and individual beers. On the other side of the coin, you could have 2 identical beers, packaged differently, with with 1 bing heavily marketed, and there will still be a base of people who swear by one over the other.

I said that I felt Brewers should do it. I did not say I thought it should be the law.

Increasingly, the younger generation(s) are preferring transparency, fresh, locally sourced ingredients, with local labor, from "their" vendor/brewer/baker etc. "big box" is losing its appeal, call it hipster, or label it however you will, it's just the way it is.

To not only survive, but thrive, you need to be able to read, and adjust to your market, as conditions change.

You may not agree with it, and that is fine, but I tend to think we will start to see more collaboration brews, as well as more transparency in ingredients. After all it is the biggest thing that separates the "crafts" from the macros.

I'm not necessarily against labeling, but definitely against the idea that beer should just be "water, malt, hops, yeast".
Let's not feed the Foodbabe trolls.

biertourist, I did not mean to imply that the only ingredients must be Water, grain, yeast, hops, I definitely agree with your list.

I meant by "and nothing more", to mean nothing beyond the labeled ingredients.

ps. No fruit. :D

If I didn't trust a particular craft brewery I just wouldn't buy their product. It's as simple as that. Listing ingredients on a label is costly and procedurally difficult. A brewer has to submit the new label to the ABC and the wait is usually onerous. Then you have to comply with the ABC's ruling and at times revise that label. God forbid your recipe changes slightly. Then you have to go over it all again.

As far as recipes being listed, while I do believe brewing magic is in the process not the recipe, I also believe recipes ARE proprietary and a brewer should have every right to protect or share it as he/she sees fit.

Edit: my entire post has a theme. Leave craft brewing alone and don't impose any extra requirements/restrictions on them beyond what already exists. The current food safety laws are sufficient to protect the public, let the marketplace sort out what tastes good and what doesn't.

Here's the info I use on all my beer labels; of course the information is different and images are added sometimes but I like it basic. Also brewing beer is more about the process so sharing ingredients shouldn't be a fear for those insecure brewers...

Yooper's American Cream Ale
STYLE ------------------> American Cream Ale
OG ---------------------> 1.053
FG ---------------------> 1.010
IBU --------------------> 14.8
COLOR -----------------> 5.3
MALTS -----------------> Maris Otter Biscuit Cara-Pils Corn
HOPS ------------------> Hersbrucker Saaz
YEAST -----------------> US-05
ABV -------------------> 5.6%
DATE BOTTLED -------> 01/19/15

^Looks good. It's easy enough as a homebrewer, but to be honest, if my friends require a label on my homebrew they don't get to drink it.

If you're trying to dial in recipe development over time that info might be helpful, but so would mash temp/time/boil duration/boil off rate/efficiency, water profile, salt additions, starting finishing PH, etc.

There's no shortage of data for a brewer to store and refer too, but in the end, I don't require those things as a consumer to know if the beer is good or not. I mean if arsenic is an ingredient I obviously wouldn't drink it, but then again, if arsenic is an ingredient some sort of "ethical code" of ingredient listing isn't going to compel a brewer to list it.

Listing ingredients wont sell more beer. People buy and drink beer according to their particular taste. I personally have never looked for a list of ingredients in any of the beers I've bought in the store or in the local craft breweries.
As far as the hipsters go, they think Pabst is the latest greatest beer here. The hipsters here suck it down with abandon. And theres no list of ingredients.
As mentioned earlier, labels have to be approved by various agencies based on regional rules and regulations. Its time consuming and costly.
Apparently its important to you but I just dont see why a list of ingredients is important.

there is no larger scale brewer in the us that does not treat their water, you simply would not be able to achieve repeatable results.

You've obviously never pulled a water report in Seattle nor visited many breweries here. Basic filtration and treatment to remove chlorine; that's it. Near distilled water falls on igneous rock and picks up almost nothing in the way of minerals - same story year round.

Yes, this is an exception and not the rule in most of the country but out here water treatment is about neutralizing chlorine or flavor adjustment and doesn't vary.

pre prohibition it was not at all uncommon to have one, or more breweries per town/city/region. Without having the exact numbers in front of me I would hazard a guess that we have yet to achieve the numbers that were present before prohibition.

Before Prohibition in 1887 the US had 2011 breweries as of June 2014 we already had 3,040 craft breweries with many more opened between now and then and hundreds and hundreds with planning permission and about to open: http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/news/craft-beer-boom-production-volume-increase/

Breweries now produce much larger quantities of beer and much higher alcohol content than in 1887, too.

Sure there are parts of the country like say Lakewood, Ohio where there might not be many breweries but there are markets that are beyond saturated. The cracks are already showing with breweries starting to sue each other for names and mega breweries going after the small brewery market, doing things like buying breweries with owners who have sat on the Brewers Association Board of Directors (Dick Cantwell, Elsian) so they can download his brain and craft brewers' competitive playbook while simultaneously lobbying for laws to be changed that would break the brewpub model in places like Florida- because the brew pub model breaks their control over distribution.

Take some lessons from the insanely cut-throat and competitive English market over the past few years and see what happens when you get into an over saturated market, I've seen it first hand there and many of the same behaviors are starting to occur here.

Its already a very crowded market nationally but in certain locales it's just insane. (I have 12 craft breweries within 5.5 square miles of my house, for example with 2 or 3 more rumored to open in the new few months.) -We've got a FEW breweries now opened by people who have only been home brewing since 2013 and who brewed only 3 all grain batches before they went "pro". (Because brewing is how you get rich and everyone can become a brewer; brewing will only go up. -It's all typical bubble behavior and language.)

Most brewers going into the industry now are fully aware that it's getting tough and that "all of these breweries won't make it", but they're all convinced that they will be the ones to make it. -IMHO, the % of failed breweries is going to keep going up as the density stays where it is; it's going to get much closer to restaurant failure rates as it has many of the same business issues.

Buying $1 million worth of equipment for a business that can sell $100k worth of beer a year was never a great business; growth prospects were all that made it viable; if that breaks down the already sketchy business model gets sketchier.

Loads of new breweries will make it and will find ways to get capital even once the current relatively easy capital dries up.

Concentration-Graph3.png

That Census data is from 2010 and we've had hockey-stick like growth since then and again that's a national average and doesn't look at some of the localities where the density is MUCH higher. It also doesn't take into account rising production at each brewery, either.

Adam

Seems to me like the list of ingredients would read the same whether it were on a craft beer, OR a BMC beer, since they are in fact, made with the same basic ingredients.

Listing ingredients wont sell more beer. People buy and drink beer according to their particular taste. I personally have never looked for a list of ingredients in any of the beers I've bought in the store or in the local craft breweries.
As far as the hipsters go, they think Pabst is the latest greatest beer here. The hipsters here suck it down with abandon. And theres no list of ingredients.
As mentioned earlier, labels have to be approved by various agencies based on regional rules and regulations. Its time consuming and costly.
Apparently its important to you but I just dont see why a list of ingredients is important.

Yea, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what gets put into PBR or Ranier...

Adam

You've obviously never pulled a water report in Seattle nor visited many breweries here. Basic filtration and treatment to remove chlorine; that's it. Near distilled water falls on igneous rock and picks up almost nothing in the way of minerals - same story year round.

correct, I have never pulled a Seattle water report. In fact there a far more places that I have not pulled a report from, than there are places I have. I'm a little confused, or maybe you are just really lucky to have pure H2O fall com the sky, that picks up not contamination for pollution in the air,absorbs no minerals or contamination from the ground. It seems kinda silly to add chlorine to pure H2O, I mean what is there to sanitize?

I confess I have not been to a brewery in Washington since I Lived in SF, so not since 1996

Yes, this is an exception and not the rule in most of the country but out here water treatment is about neutralizing chlorine or flavor adjustment and doesn't vary.

more people live outside of Washington than within

Before Prohibition in 1887 the US had 2011 breweries as of June 2014 we already had 3,040 craft breweries with many more opened between now and then and hundreds and hundreds with planning permission and about to open: http://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com/news/craft-beer-boom-production-volume-increase/

like I said I did not have stats in front of me. I concede that I was mistaken

Breweries now produce much larger quantities of beer and much higher alcohol content than in 1887, too.

there are also more people in the country since then. I also seem to remember reading 2 stats, first there are less consumers of alcahol, by percent, than there were in the 1800s, and second, that the average American comsumes less alcahol per year, than in the 1800s. In all fairness, the BiG Beer thing is relatively new (of course barley wine and such has always been around). For centuries, beer has been a safe medium for fluid intake, and a way to "store" grains. These historically have had less ABV

Sure there are parts of the country like say Lakewood, Ohio where there might not be many breweries but there are markets that are beyond saturated.

you totally got me. I see my own clothes, we don't have running water, and i poop in a shed outside. It is a fact we don't have even a single brewery within city limits, we do have one getting the needed permits and such, but it is not yet a brewery. It will be housed in a big old church in the historic part of town.

While there are no breweries in this city, I live within 10 minutes of 10 different breweries, Great Lakes being the biggest. Within 30 minutes there are probably close to 25 breweries.

I prefer to go to the start ups and smaller breweries, as I more closely agree with their business model, and practices. That's just me. I think Great Lakes is overrated, and quite honestly inconsistent.

The cracks are already showing with breweries starting to sue each other for names and mega breweries going after the small brewery market, doing things like buying breweries with owners who have sat on the Brewers Association Board of Directors (Dick Cantwell, Elsian) so they can download his brain and craft brewers' competitive playbook while simultaneously lobbying for laws to be changed that would break the brewpub model in places like Florida- because the brew pub model breaks their control over distribution.

im not sure what you are eluding to here, but I think you are saying that smaller companies are suing each other because it is dog eat dog, and they are trying to preserve their stake.

As well as saying big beer is buying small beer to both retain control of marketshare, while simultaneously entering in to the craft scene.

As for the pub model, I did a lengthy post on this exact thing some months ago, about this. I believe it is a conflict of interest to be both the brewer and the distributor, as far as mass distribution goes, not as far as brew pups go. You should have the right to self distribute on premise. I believe I broke down the math in that post about how ridiculous big beers argument about being able to self distribute in 50(?) locations, while still staying below the cap. It was just silly.

So I think we agree on this point?

Take some lessons from the insanely cut-throat and competitive English market over the past few years and see what happens when you get into an over saturated market, I've seen it first hand there and many of the same behaviors are starting to occur here.

yes, unfortunately this will always exist in a free market economy with a popular/trendy/needed commodity. Things tend to work themselves out, however there are absolutely times when one parties pockets are much deeper than the others, and bullying can occur. That is the time that consumers can show their support both vocally and financially. Look at what just happened between lagunitas and Sierra Nevada and the whole "IPA" dibacle.

You live in one of the most if not the most saturated market, and for the most part the kids play well in the sand box. How long will it be till little Podunk towns like the one I live in realize this saturation? The craft beer "movement" is as much of a cultural shift as it is an increase in quality. Millenials and the like don't want the same thing as their parents, nor do they want the drama or i personalization of big corporation. They will and have demonstrated this with their discretionary spending

Its already a very crowded market nationally but in certain locales it's just insane. (I have 12 craft breweries within 5.5 square miles of my house, for example with 2 or 3 more rumored to open in the new few months.) -We've got a FEW breweries now opened by people who have only been home brewing since 2013 and who brewed only 3 all grain batches before they went "pro". (Because brewing is how you get rich and everyone can become a brewer; brewing will only go up. -It's all typical bubble behavior and language.)

Most brewers going into the industry now are fully aware that it's getting tough and that "all of these breweries won't make it", but they're all convinced that they will be the ones to make it. -IMHO, the % of failed breweries is going to keep going up as the density stays where it is; it's going to get much closer to restaurant failure rates as it has many of the same business issues.

Buying $1 million worth of equipment for a business that can sell $100k worth of beer a year was never a great business; growth prospects were all that made it viable; if that breaks down the already sketchy business model gets sketchier.

Loads of new breweries will make it and will find ways to get capital even once the current relatively easy capital dries up.

this is absolutely true, but it is not a phenomenon exclusive to the brewing industry. There are countless examples of people going in to business that should not. Give a kid a hammer and the next morning he thinks he is a master carpenter. Nothing new here. You will find it in every sector of the economy. These companies will die the death they should. The cream (mostly) rises to the top. Again, free market economies.

Concentration-Graph3.png

That Census data is from 2010 and we've had hockey-stick like growth since then and again that's a national average and doesn't look at some of the localities where the density is MUCH higher. It also doesn't take into account rising production at each brewery, either.

do you have similar statistics/graphs for restaurants/drug stores/coffee shops/bars in your (or any area)? Again, people always jump on the next hot thing. For most of these people, these hot trends are already cooling by the time they hop on the train. Quality places will survive the onslaught, and the fly by night joints will wither and die. Again, happens every time there is a trend.

Adam

I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with listing ingredients on a label.
If you don't want to list the exact percentages/recipe that is fine. I would not hesitate to list mine. That's just me. You should have to list ingredients though, I cannot think of anything else that you ingest/inhale that doesn't require you to do this. The only reason I can think of is big beer monies lobbying to keep it from happening.

Regardless I think we can agree, having a quality product, enjoyed by those who choose to partake in it is the end game.

If you ever find yourself in lakewood, stop by and we can go grab a beer. Provided you don't mind sitting in candle light, we still don't have electricity in these parts :mug:

Sure there are parts of the country like say Lakewood, Ohio where there might not be many breweries but there are markets that are beyond saturated. The cracks are already showing with breweries starting to sue each other for names and mega breweries going after the small brewery market, doing things like buying breweries with owners who have sat on the Brewers Association Board of Directors (Dick Cantwell, Elsian) so they can download his brain and craft brewers' competitive playbook while simultaneously lobbying for laws to be changed that would break the brewpub model in places like Florida- because the brew pub model breaks their control over distribution.

Concentration-Graph3.png

Adam

Bare in mind the 1880 census pegged the US population at 50 million. In 2010 it was over 300 million. We're also seeing a slow movement back to other craft industries. For example, there's a resurgence of the local landrace grain farming that went extinct by 1990 care of large corporate acquisition. So the population is up 600% but breweries have only increased 50%. Even after adjusting for volumes produced or reduction in consumption per capita, theres still some room for newcomers.

I don't disagree with your argument about competition, but making the great beer is just table stakes. Building your business and a loyal fanbase is just as important. A lot of people don't know how to run the business side, while others are willing to put out a sub standard product (and risk damaging their brand) because it's too expensive to dump a batch. There's a lot of evidence for breweries giving away info and not suffering for it. Russian River regularly gives away their recipes ... it just seems to grow their reputation more.

At the end of the day its brewer preference, but if a top secret recipe is all that stands between them and failure, that brewery is SOL. On the flip side, labeling down to the ingredient level would be a nightmare, because any adjustment in recipe would mean label changes (as others have mentioned) and that only helps the BMC crowd. It shouldn't matter anyway - in most states recipes/formulations need to be approved in order to release the product - as long as state law protects you from bad additives then it should be fine.

Additional labeling would be great - especially in areas where potential allergens are used (or an allergen free product like gluten free beer is being offered), but I don't think i'd force it.

A list of ingredients similar to what is on food wouldn't be a bad idea.

So you want a list of all ingredients in your beer? So who is going to check that the ingredients listed are actually what is in the beer? More importantly who is going to PAY for this? What's going to happen when a brewery wants to do a run of specialty beers with odd ingredients? Seems like that is the kind of regulations that is going to tie the hands of craft breweries.

So you want a list of all ingredients in your beer? So who is going to check that the ingredients listed are actually what is in the beer?

i don't know, who checks this in the food industry? If they are taking applications to test beer, probably won't be a shortage of applicants though.

More importantly who is going to PAY for this?
again who pays for it now in the food industry? The producer, who then passes it on to the consumer, so ultimately we do.

What's going to happen when a brewery wants to do a run of specialty beers with odd ingredients?
would they not still have to make a label for this "new" beer?how much more is it going to cost to print a list of ingredients/nutritional facts? You could put it right next to the surgeon generals warnings, that ARE mandated.
Seems like that is the kind of regulations that is going to tie the hands of craft breweries.

really? Having to list ingredients would totally hog tie the entire craft beer industry?

If your kid had peanut allergies, and you bought a snack cracker that was processed on the same equipment used for processing nuts, and your kid had a reaction and died because cracker company did not disclose that info, who would be the first in line demanding retribution?

A craft brewer who makes a peanut butter Porter, then uses the same fermentor to make an IPA, shouldn't be subjected to the same criteria?

Granted, there are seasonal swings that could cause ingredients to change from time to time (harvest yields, product availability, change of supplier/maltster) that could be problematic if mass producing labels, but again food manufacturers face these same problems, they somehow seem to overcome these hurdles.

If you have nothing to hide, why would you care? If you get in front of the wave, this could completely be part of your branding.

"We have nothing to hide, that's why we list our ingredients on all our bottles. Do you know what you are really drinking?" Kind of thing.

It's not required, so it's kind of a moot point.

If your kid had peanut allergies, and you bought a snack cracker that was processed on the same equipment used for processing nuts, and your kid had a reaction and died because cracker company did not disclose that info, who would be the first in line demanding retribution?

A craft brewer who makes a peanut butter Porter, then uses the same fermentor to make an IPA, shouldn't be subjected to the same criteria?

Granted, there are seasonal swings that could cause ingredients to change from time to time (harvest yields, product availability, change of supplier/maltster) that could be problematic if mass producing labels, but again food manufacturers face these same problems, they somehow seem to overcome these hurdles.

If you have nothing to hide, why would you care? If you get in front of the wave, this could completely be part of your branding.

"We have nothing to hide, that's why we list our ingredients on all our bottles. Do you know what you are really drinking?" Kind of thing.

It's not required, so it's kind of a moot point.

That is why everyone would just throw up the generic "this beer is produced on equipment that also handles peanuts, wheat, soy, shellfish, and anything else you can think of". There is your warning.
I don't think any craft brewery is trying to hide anything. I just don't want to see more regulations in an industry that is beyond over regulated! If the reason for listing ingredients in beer is from a safety standpoint then every brewpub/nanobrewery will have to comply with the same regulations. That will definetly squash the craft beer industry. Imagine everytime a brewpub/nanobrewer wants to brew a new beer they have to go through a whole testing process.

Meh asking for ingredients list is pretty silly. Why? So the crunchy hippy guy who has a imaginary sensitivity to GMOs can make sure acceptable ingredients are used when at the end of the day alcohol is a carcinogen anyway.

To me it all boils down to this:

Either you're the guy who says: "What my customers don't know won't hurt them."

Or you're the guy who says: "I care about the things that are important to my customers enough to inform them about what I put in my beer so that they can make an informed decision."

Either you care if some of your customers are vegan or you don't. Either you care if some of your customers are anti-GMO or you don't. Either you care if some of your customers are anti-propylene-glycol-in-their-beer or you don't. Etc.

Now me, as a customer, I would much rather buy from people who respect the things that are important to me than from people who go by the motto: "What my customers don't know won't hurt them."

No, I don't need to know what variety of hops is being used or a list of the malts to make an informed decision about a beer purchase, but by-golly I would like to know if there's genetically modified corn in it.

Or you're the guy who says: "I care about the things that are important to my customers enough to inform them about what I put in my beer so that they can make an informed decision."

Either you care if some of your customers are vegan or you don't. Either you care if some of your customers are anti-GMO or you don't. Either you care if some of your customers are anti-propylene-glycol-in-their-beer or you don't. Etc.

Now me, as a customer, I would much rather buy from people who respect the things that are important to me than from people who go by the motto: "What my customers don't know won't hurt them."

No, I don't need to know what variety of hops is being used or a list of the malts to make an informed decision about a beer purchase, but by-golly I would like to know if there's genetically modified corn in it.

That's part of my point. Really, your gonna sit there worried about "evil" Monsanto corn (when there is no evidence to show dangers) and keeping toxins and chemikillz out of your body, but have no problem with the alcohol itself. Its being anti something just to be anti something.

Meh asking for ingredients list is pretty silly. Why? So the crunchy hippy guy who has a imaginary sensitivity to GMOs can make sure acceptable ingredients are used when at the end of the day alcohol is a carcinogen anyway.

+1 to this. The alcohol will kill you before the ingredients do.

Either way, 'the guy' should be able to make these decisions, provided they are not deceitful, and the consumer can decide with their wallet. No need for the gov't to tell either one of them what to do.

When I give away beers for xmas, for instance, I DO list ingredients because I DO care about my 'custumers' so to speak. I just don't want to be forced to.

You've obviously never pulled a water report in Seattle nor visited many breweries here.

Gee, I was about to play the "Seattle water" card and you beat me to it. Then I see you're also in Woodinville :)

Great post.

I did actually treat my water for the first time in my last batch - just a tad bit of CaCL to increase hardness, since the water here (from Tolt river, anyway) is terribly soft. Not certain if it made a difference.

I'll list it if i ended up making a label for it at all :)

23.gif
Agreed, this type of regulation would help craft brewers i feel. Its working in the food industry.
29.gif

If you don't know if it is true, then don't repeat it. If you have facts to back up a claim, please cite them. There can be trace amounts of formaldehyde/formalin in any fermented beverage as it is a product of methanol (produced in fermentation) being oxidized. It's also produced in many biological processes beyond fermentation.

I feel like the issue will take care of itself. If somebody is adamant about not drinking GMO products (or whatever it may be), they will seek out that information for themselves. Breweries who don't provide that information readily will not be selling to those individuals. People who just want to drink good beer as long as there is nothing obviously dangerous in it won't care about it. Typically breweries who use all organic ingredients for their beers (or one beer in particular) make that pretty obvious on their labels, which makes it appeal to a certain crowd.

I just know that if I ran my own brewery, I would answer any questions customers had. But as others have said, being forced to list ingredients for all new beers would tie brewers' hands with more ridiculous bureaucracy. Oh, you want your fall seasonal, gypsy brewed, non-GMO, dry hopped, brett aged (want to start listing and testing all of the "bugs" for sour/wild beers?) organic spelt saison to be ready for October? Better brew it in February so we can test it, do all of the paperwork, and process it in time to be legal to drink by then.

Most beers I brew it is because I found them, tried them, liked them but cannot easy get them anymore. If they came to my house and showed me how to make it they wouldn't lose a dime, because for one reason or another the local distributors don't carry them.

Soda companies are the same way - they make a decent product, and then they stop for one reason or another...

Back