Blueberry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baycider

Reaction score
I'm so new at all of this it hurts lol. I convinced my husband it was a good idea for us to have a go at home brewing. I want to do cider and he wants to do beer so we compromised and are doing both.
I suggested we do blueberry (we live in Newfoundland Canada) he thought it was a great idea. he did however have some reservations because he said that the last blueberry beer he had tasted like butt.
I've been on here and read a few different posts and I'm hoping to get everything together so we can start in the next couple weeks or so.

We think we should just do one gallon that way we aren't totally committed to a large project especially if it turns out bad seeing as we are first timers.

I'm wondering if I can add a vanilla pod to my brew or would it be weird?

I've add vanilla beans to a blueberry wheat beer before. If your doing 1 gallon I'd suggest like half a vanilla bean. Make sure to split it open and expose all the seeds. They can be quite potent in bean form so don't over use it. I also prefer to do it in secondary after fermentation but you can do it in primary as well.

Hey! Also from Newfoundland!

I'm living in Nova Scotia right now and do all kinds of crazy things with their blueberry here.

I have a cider going now, we do a wine each year and I've done a few beers. In my experience I've had to let the blueberry beers age quite a bit. My blueberry wheat was probably the quickest turnaround.

It's all about having fun but I usually suggest people start out with a good few proven and simple recipes. If it ends up being a hobby you love it would be a lot easier for you to trouble shoot and learn from any mistakes.

Blueberry cider? Hmm, just blueberry, or apple flavored with blueberry?

We are going to be doing two separate brews. one beer and one cider. he's pretty excited to try the vanilla blueberry beer.

This is my first glass of honey wheat blueberry beer I brewed 4 weeks ago. Pretty tasty. I brewed 5 gallons and I mashed up 5lbs of blueberries in a calendar and dropped them into the last 2 weeks of my secondary (I know, some people dont do secondaries, I've come to like it) and it came out amazing. I added a smidge to any blueberries. I'd probably cut it in half next time.
59a7caae-c596-43ca-b4c5-cc702c6ff625_zpspnbfzqlr.jpg

I recently made an apple wine with blueberries that turned out awesome. Basically it was store bought apple juice and some crushed up blueberries that I fermented with a wine yeast. Turned out delicious. I'll never be able to replicate it exactly and wish I'd made more of it. Funny how that works.

Back