Blue Sunshine Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
Just brewed up a Belgian Ale..well I guess I should preface that..I am not trying to stay true true to the style, so take it with a grain of salt. I am just wanting a smooth drinking,kind of biscuity, crisp amber ale. I have a few questions, but here is the recipe:

3.0 lb Muntons Plain Amber DME
3.0 lb Plain Extra Light DME

0.5 lb Biscuit Malt
0.5 lb Carapils Malt
0.5 lb Crystal 40 Malt (Steep all grains 45 min at 154)
0.5 lb Crystal 20 Malt
0.5 lb Light Munich Malt

3/4 oz Chinook Hops (60 min)
1 oz Cascade Hops (15 min)

WLP001 California Ale

SG 1.050

It didn't do anything for 18 hours at 75 deg, then took off like a bat out of hell around 28 hrs and blew through my airlock. Switched to a hose and its still spitting foam 15 hours later. Will switch to secondary once the craziness slows to a trickle and plan to let these flavors meld in the bottle until 4th of July weekend.(not that I won't try one as soon as possible)

I made a variation of this before as a Fat Tire type clone (my Big Wheel Ale) and it turned out way better than Fat Tire I can tell you that. That time around I used 2 Amber/6 Pale LME and only the Crystal 20/Carapils.

My questions are:

1) I was going to add the 1/4 oz Chinook some time between Primary and bottling (shields up, i know not a classic aroma hop..this is my beer!) I was going to make a hop tea in a bag with the priming sugar. Any other ideas for it?

2) I forgot to add my Irish Moss, what else can I do for clarity from here on out?

Comments on the recipe are always liked too! Can't wait to crack this one open.

Craig
Tucson, AZ

BlueSunshineLabel-1.jpg

I could be way off here, but I'm pretty sure one of the main things that make a belgian a belgian is the yeast. I don't think cali 001 yeast is right.

That is purly speculation, I cannot back that up in anyway ... so take THAT with a grain of salt too ;)

Ok, I know..that is why I said grain of salt. I can always change the name to Amber Ale. My description is more what I am shooting for than the Belgian aspect. So what do you think it should be? Amber Ale? Ale?

Anybody? The people I know will not know the difference...and I like the ring, so I may just keep it :p

001 is known for its versatility for many styles of ales and I am primarily using for its clean balanced characteristics and accentuation of hop flavors.

I guess Belgian yeasts are more known for fruity, phenolic notes. Maybe I will try it with WLP550 Belgian Ale next time..would be interesting to see the difference.

Any thoughts on the original questions about the rest of the Chinook and the clarity?

Craig, good to see a fellow Tucsonan posting. I'm definitely feeling the recipe. I love a divergent path so let me know how it turns out!

Vito

That sounds like it will be a tasty beer. It will taste pretty good with the WLP001cali yeast, but if you really like Belgians, you should try Belgian yeast strains (as cfresh mentioned). Wyeast has a seasonal yeast available now, a "Belgian Farmhouse Ale" which I think is nice.
Oh, and for clarity, the I think that only thing you can really do is siphon carefully. A secondary fermentor would help a lot, too (if you don't already use one, that is).
Good looking label, btw

RedSun said:
Craig, good to see a fellow Tucsonan posting. I'm definitely feeling the recipe. I love a divergent path so let me know how it turns out!

Vito

Hey Vito, your in Tucson..you may just be trying it yourself! I will let you know when its tasting time.

Craig

How about the Chinook? Think I should dry hop in secondary, hop tea at bottling or just leave it out. I know that **** is pretty strong and want to keep it drinkable for the avg drinker.

seefresh said:
I could be way off here, but I'm pretty sure one of the main things that make a belgian a belgian is the yeast. I don't think cali 001 yeast is right.

That is purly speculation, I cannot back that up in anyway ... so take THAT with a grain of salt too ;)

Cool avitar, Trey rips!

Back