blue moon hefe ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse

Reaction score
Not sure what happened at my attempt on a blue moon clone.. Here's my recipe.
9 lbs wheat
7 lbs pale
1 lbs flaked wheat
1 lbs tort wheat
1 lbs crystal 10
Mashed for one hour at 156...and then for another 45 minutes because of rain,then fly sparged at 175 for a 9 gallon batch.( I keg in 1/4 barrel sankeys . Sg is 1.050. I'm blaming the ****ty efficiency on the extended mash time. fg was 1.020 when i kegged. Tasted like a very nice Hefe when i sampled. The question is why??? Used smack pack of belgian wit and fermented at low 70's.

Its cause you used a belg wit yeast and the flavors that go with it...bannana, clove, bubble gum. Blue moon uses some kind of neutral American yeast. I feel your pain, I did the same thing.

A hefe is not a wheat is not a wit. three different beers.

Probably could use the same grain bill, essentially, for all three, but need the different types of yeasts for the flavors that classify these beers.

Were you trying to make a Blue Moon clone? Its a Witbier, not a Hefeweizen. Unlike hefeweizens, wits have a large percentage of unmalted wheat. You used too much wheat malt. They also are spiced. Corriander, orange peel, black pepper, chamomile and grains of paradise are some common spices used. Its usually a good bit drier than hefeweizens too.

A hefe is not a wheat is not a wit. three different beers.

Probably could use the same grain bill, essentially, for all three, but need the different types of yeasts for the flavors that classify these beers.

Did you not understand the question???? I'm saying it was an attempt at a wit and ended up tasting like a hefe... I was asking what i did wrong not how to classify it.

I guess not. In a rush I thought I would impart some great knowledge!:D

Umm, maybe you fermented too high then? What was your ferm. temp.? I fermented my wit at 62-64 and got a nice well rounded taste.

Did you not understand the question???? I'm saying it was an attempt at a wit and ended up tasting like a hefe... I was asking what i did wrong not how to classify it.

I answered;).

You didn't add any spices, and you didn't use enough unmalted wheat.

Check out the BJCP guidelines:
Weizen
Witbier

I answered too, that is not the right yeast. Blue moon is a Belgian-Style witbier, but it does not use a belg wit yeast.

Try this next time...courtesy of member Wayne1

Blue Moon Belgian White was first sold commercially as Belly Slide Belgian White at the SandLot Brewery at Coors Field during the 1995 opening season.

We did do a little fine tuning of the recipe, which was developed by Dr. Keith Villa of Coors R&D. Mostly to do with the ratio of Orange Peel to Corriander.

The amounts of grains we used are roughly:
50% 2 row pale malt. (The first couple of batches were made with Great Western)
40% white wheat malt
10% flaked oats.

Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops were added for a 90 minute boil. Bittering should be around 17.5 IBU. Only one addition.

Blue Moon has always used pre-ground corriander and Valencia orange peel. Keith did not want the bitterness of Curacao oranges. He preferred the sweetness of the ground Valencia.

Try 1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.

Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil.

The Chico strain would work well in this recipe. You want a neutral taste from the yeast. Keith has said that the flavors that should come through are the orange peel and corriander, not the yeast.

I answered;).

You didn't add any spices, and you didn't use enough unmalted wheat.

Check out the BJCP guidelines:
Weizen
Witbier

Thank you.. I did add 1/2 oz of sweet and 1/2oz of bitter with 2 teaspoons of coriander in the last 15 minutes with a hop addition. I'm getting a very strong clove and banana flavor and aroma..That's my main concern. I'm sure it will dissipate a little but not completely. Thanks to everybody for your help

Back