Blue Moon Clone for beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadto15RTR

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a college Junior and am about to start brewing beer (My girlfriend is getting me a brewing kit for christmas and she appears to be going all out.) My 2 buddies who are engineers are also wanting in on the project, so we for sure have the brains and the patience to get everything right. My first question is, we want our first batch to be something we all love and will enjoy, so we settled on a blue moon clone, so how hard would that be for absolute beginners? Also, if this is feasible for beginners, could someone walk me through the ingredients and step my step directions? I know there are other threads about this, but it would be great if someone could take the time to really "dumb things down." Thanks a lot everyone who takes the time to help me out!
Cheers and Roll Tide!

Hey all,

I am a college Junior and am about to start brewing beer (My girlfriend is getting me a brewing kit for christmas and she appears to be going all out.) My 2 buddies who are engineers are also wanting in on the project, so we for sure have the brains and the patience to get everything right. My first question is, we want our first batch to be something we all love and will enjoy, so we settled on a blue moon clone, so how hard would that be for absolute beginners? Also, if this is feasible for beginners, could someone walk me through the ingredients and step my step directions? I know there are other threads about this, but it would be great if someone could take the time to really "dumb things down." Thanks a lot everyone who takes the time to help me out!
Cheers and Roll Tide!

That's a very easy beer style. It might be most helpful, since you want step-by-step directions to order a "clone" recipe from someplace like austinhomebrew.com. Like this: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10902 You'd need the "extract" recipe, and the liquid wit yeast, and you'd be all set!

Excellent - certainly agree with Yooper, a great beginner style, and an "off the shelf" clone recipe is probably your best bet. That will give a chance to run through the full process of making beer with relatively predictable results.

The best thing about doing a Wheat beer first is that they are the fastest turnaround beer...within 10-14 days you can bottle and actually have a good beer when its done carbonating.

Many ales only get better after 4-6+ weeks of aging...wheat beers get worse(relatively) the longer they sit around IMO.

Latest posts

Back