Blubery Mel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDim

Reaction score
2/10/2016
Blubery
12 lbs kikland
4 lbs of crahsed bluberies
4.5 Gal of spring water
SNA 8 days
17.5 brix at pitching
Lavlin EC 1118 - Does any one know a better one for dry mels ?

to Secondary,
+8 lbs of crushed blueberies

(Frozen berries were on discount at supermarket.)

Should I do the berries to primary ?
Should I add orange or lemon for acidity ? PH measures 4 on test srtips

It says that PH of 3.9 is the PH of Honey. I just got PH strips, they are not very exact, but I get an idea. :)

I bin doing som nice wild blueberry melomel. And i found that blueberrys works well in primary hole.

I am using wyeast 4632 but im using honey enuff to kill the yeast before it go dry. So i dont know how it will turn out if you make it dry. But i guess its gona be good.

With 4lbs of blueberries in 5 gallons, you'll get more flavor from those berries if you wait & rack onto them in secondary. Freeze, thaw & crush those berries & add a dose of pectic enzyme to extract the maximum amount of flavor.
Regards, GF.

Is my Refractometer running bad ?

I got 17.5 reading.

But 12lbs of honey for 5 gal should be 12% plus the 4 lbs... Why am I getting only 17.5 brix ?

I have read online that adding fruit to primary adds proteins that help fermentation and secondary for flavor.

Do I need a new Refractometer ? newer models come with dual scale ?

your right... using this calculator http://meadcalc.freevar.com/ with just the 12lbs of honey in the 5gal must you will have an approximate brix of 20.7 with a potential ABV of about 11.5%
Adding 4lbs of blueberries the brix is about 21.44 with ABV of 11.91% (but it sounds like you already know this?)

Did you calibrate your refractometer? Distilled water should read zero (0)
Is your refractometer an ATC model (compensates for temps) if not, the following links to sites for calculators can help with temperature correction as well as brix readings from fermenting must (current and final gravities)

Refractometer results are only accurate before pitching the yeast, once the fermentation has started you must use a refractometer calculator to have corrected results.

the one here is very accurate but requires microsoft xcel (scroll down to spreadsheet download)
http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

if you don't have 'excel' try this one, not quite as accurate but will work if you don't have a hydrometer. http://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

USE A WORT CORRECTION FACTOR OF 1.0 ON BOTH CALCULATORS for mead or wine

I have used both and find mixed yet similar results compared to a hydrometer but I'm a new brewer and have a cheap hydrometer and refractometer

A hydrometer would be your best bet! at a minimum you could at least verify, confirm or correct your results from your refractometer
As far as having a dual scale refractometer...you would still need to use a calculator after fermentation has started so a brix scale is fine.

Hope this helps!
If I've spoken on what you already know, sorry

Back