Blowover question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman

Reaction score
I currently have a 5 gallon carboy that is in the process of fermenting. I found that because of such rapid fermentation almost an entire gallon of my wort moved into my gallon sized blowover system. My question is:

1. Should I just discard my blowover material?

2. Could I put back into the carboy the stuff that was deposited into my blowoff?

Thanks for the advise. Duffman

1) yes
2) do you want to risk infection?? it's now been exposed to open air. Would you pour your airlock water in? It's the same idea.

Suggestion: Get a 6.5 gallon carboy. I use them for all of my primaries, and have never had a problem where I've needed a blowover, I toss my airlock on right away, which makes things much easier

Granted, I inherited all of my fermenters from my father (not dead... just he used to use them to make wine, and he gave that up when he was diagnosed with diabetes)

Good luck! and happy brewing!

Thanks for your help. I guess I will lose some of my brew. I think I will use a 6.5 gallong carboy next time. Just so that I won't lose any of my brew. Great advise... gonna have a brew right now. Duffman

Latest posts

Back