Blowing my Fuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjbrew

Reaction score
I have built a controller for my Mash tun with a 1500w element. The Controller looks and is built like EvilGnome6 controller. I put a inline Fuse on the Hot lead going to my syl-1512a. When i plug in the element to its outlet and switch it on the fuse will pop. Do I need to take the fuse off line? I have plugged in my drill into this same outlet and run it without blowing the fuse. I also plugged the element into a outlet from the house without a problem. Very new to the electrical side I will try and post a pic of the controller. any help would be great.

jjbrew said:
I have built a controller for my Mash tun with a 1500w element. The Controller looks and is built like EvilGnome6 controller. I put a inline Fuse on the Hot lead going to my syl-1512a. When i plug in the element to its outlet and switch it on the fuse will pop. Do I need to take the fuse off line? I have plugged in my drill into this same outlet and run it without blowing the fuse. I also plugged the element into a outlet from the house without a problem. Very new to the electrical side I will try and post a pic of the controller. any help would be great.

Sounds like an undersized fuse. What size are you using and what size wire?

your drawring too much amperage through that fuse..... a 1500w element would need a minimum 14A fuse if runing on 110v... but do not upsize the fuse if the wiring is not big enough

It was a 5amp fuse and the wire is 14 awg . Do I need the fuse at all it is 110v.

You do not need a fuse if your wiring and components match the amperage of the circuit feeding your controller. If you are plugging into a 15A source, no fusing is required. If the source is 20A, use a 15A fuse to protect the 14 gauge wire in your panel.

Thanks for the Help the fuse looks like it was the problem. Up to 145 right now and climbing. I still will put up some pics soon. Thanks Ischiavo

Latest posts

Back