Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlittle29

Reaction score
Ok so i made my first wheat beer the other week, the ferment was crazy so i finally invested in using blow off tubes. I use the 3 part air lock, and take the lid and middle piece out and put a 1-inch tube directly into the air lock and run to a vase filled with san-star water. My question is, it looks like the 1" tube fits nicely into the 3 piece air lock, but not completely air or liquid tight. Is there something that i am supposed to do, maybe use some food grade silicone to lock it up and turn it into a permenent system? I ask only becasue it seems that would be a good way to get an infection in the beer.

Those 3 part airlocks still have a small restriction in the bottom part. I just stick a piece of hose right into the grommet and the other end into a container of sanitizer. Just cut a slight angle on the hose going into the grommet and it will be easier to get it in there. Fits goodntight. :D

Latest posts

Back