Blonde w/ Mate and Lemon. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am planning on my next brew being a Blonde with Yerba Mate and Lemon.

I will be using the Brooklyn brew Bruxelles Blonde kit for my grains and Hops.

Picked up some Yerba Mate loose leaf and some dried lemon rind(i guess it is rind?) from a local brew shop.

Planning on following basic directions from the brooklyn brew site with edits. I've read Mate can be bitter and that it should be prepped by letting sit in 80-90 degree water for a few minutes and added to primary. Good plan?

Also I was hoping the lemon would bring out the tea flavor as well as balance the bitterness. May also try to keep hops closer to end of boil than usual to keep bitterness at bay. I'm no wimp when it comes to that bitter Hop flavor, in fact, I love it, I am just concerned because of the mate.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something important that could screw it up?

When should I add the lemon?? The last 15 minutes is what the lady at the brew shop says.

:fro:

I love drinking mate, and have thought about adding it in a beer also, maybe subbing some of the hops. But keep in mind that mate contains caffeine, i feel more from a mate than a cup of coffee. Might be nice with an "energy beer" though :) keep me posted about how this turns out!

Back